Thursday night I headed over to a local park for the XC 5k series. The races are being held every Thursday in August and I signed up for 3 out of 4 since I will be on vacation one week.
I had run this course five years ago and I knew where the BIG hill was and I wanted to conquer it. The last time I had felt like death for 2/3 of the race and so I went out slower this time.
We started by running across an open field of grass which was not pleasant. I was afraid I was going to roll my ankle and fall over - but I didn't. I came into mile 1 (and the BIG hill) at 7:15 and felt good. I was in a small pack of men and I just kept moving. After the hill we headed into the woods and onto the trails. This was my favorite - I felt good and it was shaded!
All through the trails there was a woman running behind me. She really helped to push me and then with about half mile left she ran along with me and encouraged me to pick it up! It was nice to have some one to run with in a race!
Goal time: Under 24 minutes
Official Time: 23:27
And now some fun random facts! Katie over at Legally Fit tagged me to list ten random facts about myself!
1. In my wallet I keep a quote; "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength."
2. I learned how to cross country ski when I was 2 and downhill ski when I was 6.
3. I am named after my Grandpa Joe and Great-Grandma Anna.
4. I love to scrapbook and have pretty much my whole life all scrapbooked.
5. I don't drink much alcohol but when I do have some, it goes right to my legs and makes them feel all tingly.
6. I love to wear high heels but Brian is only about an inch taller than me so I don't get to wear them as much because we both don't like me to be taller than him.
7. I have been to Canada and the Bahamas but besides that I have never been outside the United States.
8. I have lived in the same city my whole life.
9. I can never make a manicure last. Within a few hours of painting my nails, there is always at least one nail chipped, smudged or messed up in some way!
10. I had my appendix removed just 5 days after graduating high school. I couldn't run or lift anything for two weeks.
I am tagging:
Lacey at Common Objects
Amy at Amy Runs a Marathon
Molly at I'm a Sleeper Baker
and anyone else who wants to play along!