Monday, January 21, 2013

Sometimes I wimp out

I really enjoy morning running but there are some mornings when I just don't think I can bring myself to run outside.  It just is too cold or the conditions are just not right.

Yesterday was one of those day and it looks like I may have started a trend for the week.

I woke up to 45mph winds!  Even though the temperature was in the high 30s, I just could not bring myself to run outside.  I decided on the treadmill instead.


The gym was pretty empty since it was mid Sunday morning and I just cruised along while watching Law and Order.  I think as long as I have a Law and Order show to watch, I could run on the treadmill for a very long time. Running and reading the captions on the TV is one of my favorite things.  Reading the captions distracts me very well so that I stop looking at the treadmill screen and focusing on how much distance I still have to run.


Sunday's run was 5.4 miles to finish out my week with even mileage.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning the house, baking blueberry muffins and watching some football.  As the day wore on, I checked the weather to see how my Monday morning run was going to go.  With predictions of 2-4 inches of snow and "feels like" temperature of 10F, I decided that I might as well hit the treadmill again.  I packed all my clothes to change at the gym for work, packed my breakfast and lunch then went to bed.

Monday morning I woke up to no snow,  but very cold temperatures.  I think I could have probably run outside this morning but since I was already packed and ready to go, I just went to the gym.  I was able to crank out 6.5 miles on the 'mill while watching another Law and Order.  I hadn't seen this episode before and I was quite intrigued by the plot.  The episode was about a killer who had three personalities and I couldn't keep my eyes off the captions because I wanted to know how they would break him!  I think over a mile went by without me looking at the treadmill screen - it was a pretty good episode.

Tuesday is supposed to be even colder than this morning with a "feels like" temp of below 0F!  I already know I have a date with the treadmill.

9 comments:

kilax said...

It's good to have access to a treadmill for days like that! I would not go out in the 45 mph winds for sure. It's been windy here too and it's just making me crazy!

Katherine - Real Food Runner said...

Wow that's some fast winds! It's nice that you can run inside :)

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I would have stayed inside too. 45 mile an hour winds are pretty miserable to run in!

dreambigrunner.com said...

And I thought we have cold temperatures. I feel spoiled with 30s! :) Good job on still getting your workout in despite the cold weather!

Johann said...

It doesn't get as cold here by us but still, running in a cold wind sucks. I always run outside but some days in winter can be so hard. I don't go to gym so if I skip a morning run outside I skip a run that day.

Jaime Iwaasa said...

Just reading this as I head out for a chilly morning run...-13 with a 'feels like' -18 celcius. This is about my limit and I have two layers of socks, shirts, gloves and touques. If there's one thing I hate more, it is WIND!

Robin said...

I don't mind the cold so much, but the wind is rough!

onelittletrigirl said...

It is in the 20's all week here. A friend of mine is all "suck it up and run outside" and I just cannot jump on board. 30 and over, more likely. But I prefer 40-50!

Running Junkie said...

It has been ridiculously windy recently!! I can take the cold but wind....not a chance.