Thursday, October 31, 2013

My next "race"

Wow it has been a while since I have posted. I didn't realize it had been so long.  But I am just dropping in now to share some news with you all.

For the most part of this past year my schedule has been jammed pack with social events and it has been busy.  Training for a race just didn't seem to be right and my heart wasn't in it so I decided to relax my training and just get through most of the summer before deciding what to train for.

It was the most relaxing spring and summer I have ever had. There was no pressure to get up at 5am to run long miles (even though I do love that).  I still maintained a good base and really enjoyed running each and every mile. 

August finally rolled around and my social schedule really lightened up.  I had two weddings left in September but really most of my obligations were finished and my mind started to think about what was next.  It was too late to try and run the September half marathon that I usually do but I thought maybe I could squeeze in a few 5ks in the fall, especially with my best running friend, who had her baby in late July, and was making her comeback to running and getting back in shape.

As the end of August approached I was feeling really good, I even ran 10 miles at 8 min pace and felt like I had not even lost much of my speed.  Then two days later I found out I was pregnant.  It was the most excited news!

My plans for racing in the fall went out the window, but I knew I wanted to keep running.  My mileage decreased a bit but I just took it easy and enjoyed each run.  I was surprised that I never really felt that bad while running. Sure there were slower days and morning running got tough when the weather started to get colder but I just plugged along and felt pretty good on most of my runs.

Then when I was about 8 weeks along we had the first ultrasound and I found out that I was having not just one baby BUT TWO! We were shocked to find out that it was twins.  I didn't feel any different, my runs still felt great and I was doing well.

And so things have continued from there.  Today I am 13 weeks along and feeling really good.  I did have some fatigue in the beginning and most nights I am in bed by 9pm at the latest but I am so thankful for no morning sickness. 

The one unique thing about my pregnancy so far is that I am lactose intolerant.  I had a small touch of this before hand - I have always had a sensitive stomach and I had trouble when I ate a lot of ice cream; Iwould never feel good but now it seems with being pregnant everything is exaggerated for my stomach.  Not only can I not handle dairy, but I also can't handle greasy foods or anything really fatty or sugary.  I think its the first time in my entire life that I have not craved candy, cookies or cake. 

A lot has happened to me this year and it has made me begin to think about blogging.  I feel like I lost the desire to write back in the spring when I wasn't training for anything and just running for fun.  Maintaining a blog, taking pictures of everything is a lot of work and it just became too much.  I know I enjoy reading about women's journeys through pregnancy and running but I am not sure I really have any desire to blog about this.  It is quite personal and I am becoming more protective of my little twins. 


I really hope to continue running for as long as possible and I hope to exercise until the very end.  It is a new kind of training plan for a very special race day but so far I am really enjoying it. 

Happy Running!

15 comments:

One Crazy Penguin said...

How exciting! Huge congrats :)

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

That is so exciting! Congrats! Can't wait to follow your journey. Did you us know you had the twin genes in either of your families?

Unknown said...

Congrats Jo, couldn't be happier for you and the hubs and your new growing little family.

RunningJunkie said...

Congratulations! TWINS! That's so exciting. I'm a twin. We're pretty damn cool.

Kim said...

Awesome! Congratulations! Twins! Exiting!!!! :)

I understand being protective! I do hope you share a little bit with us though. Hee hee. I love following my friend's pregnancies!

Janelle @ Run With No Regrets said...

Wow, congratulations!! I look forward to reading what comes next!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Twins! How exciting! I am glad you popped into this space to share your exciting news! I hope that you have a very smooth pregnancy and are able to continue running. I look forward to reading as much as you care or have time to share going forward!

Jeri said...

OMG congrats! How exciting!!!

Unknown said...

So excited for you! What happy news!

Anonymous said...

OMG, this is FANTASTIC news! I was excited when I saw you posted again, but never would I have expected those great news. Love it!! I'm pregnant too and my little girl
s due date is March 24. Would love if you keep posting, but totally understand if you want to keep it private. Good luck with your babies!!

Amber said...

WOW! Congratulations! That is amazing. I'm glad to hear so far running has been a part of your pregnancy. Good luck with everything and looking forward to hearing more when you do pop in!

Barry said...

Well, I'm a little behind seeing your post. But as everyone else has said...Congratulations! As the father of twin girls I can tell you it's really a special journey. And the fact that your first pregnancy is twins if even more special. Our tiwns were our first. Hang on for the ride 'cause it's going to be fun!!

The Many Thoughts of a Reader said...

Congratulations!

Jen Feeny said...

Wow! Congrats girl, that is SO exciting!!!! :)

Marlene said...

As you know, I was SUPER EXCITED about this news via DM! Just wanted to pop by to wish you congrats here and see if there was another update. :) I am so happy for you, and it's awesome that you have been able to keep running and feeling pretty decent.

Definitely understand the desire to maintain more privacy through your pregnancy. I will be happy to stay in touch and see updates on DM and FB. :)

Best wishes to you and Brian!!