Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dark and Easy

After a over month "vacation" from running group practices, I headed back last night. I was nervous because a) it was dark outside and b) I was worried about my knee.

The workout:

Easy 20 minute tempo (~2.4 miles)
1x 600m, 400m, 400m (2:49, 1:45, 1:40)
cool down (~1.5 miles)

The tempo portion started slow and then we picked up the pace. Winter running really is unique because you can feel your body get warm. As we ran I could feel the warmth slowly seep into my fingers and legs. Street lights were few and far between which made seeing the uneven sidewalk cement in front of me difficult, but thankfully I didn't fall. The guy in front of me did though, twice. The tempo run was over before I knew it and then we went into the intervals.

We weren't able to do the intervals on the track because the football team was practicing so we ran on the sidewalk. Not exactly your most ideal spot to do intervals but we made it work. I had no idea what pace we were running, I just followed the group and hoped that my legs would keep up. And they did. Which I was really happy about. I know I have lost some speed but it doesn't really feel like that much.

After a quick cool down, where my knee/IT band started screaming towards the end, I headed home. I reached my mileage limit for the night of 4.7 miles but I felt pretty good. Today though I am sore and my legs feel like lead. There will definitely be some inconspicuous stretching done in my cube today. Maybe even some icing too.

I will leave you will one picture that I managed to obtain from the Brightroom photography website from the half marathon in September! This is at mile 11ish and I actually don't look as bad as I was feeling at that exact moment! Have a great day!

17 comments:

justme said...

i think the photo is great !!!! sounds like a good job on the run

Lisa said...

Congrats on getting back out there!

Amy said...

Good job on the group run! I like the photo! (I haven't been able to lift any of my Brightroom pictures from my marathon :( )

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am glad your knee/IT band didn't give you trouble during the run! Bet it was great to run w/ this group again.

That's a great photo from the 1/2. I hate all of the photos of me from the marathon. :( They just look pretty darn awful, but oh well!

Anonymous said...

love the picture! (how were you able to get it from brightroom? I've been struggling!)

great track workout although i NEVER feel my body warming up during winter hahah

No Longer Using said...

yay i like the photo! and yay for running/ pushing the pace. things are feeling good???? it was a relative quick recovery so that is awesome!

stupid football team :)

Marlene said...

Intervals on the sidewalk is brutal, especially in the dark. Way to go on the workout.

That is an awesome race pic!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

that is a great photo! you look fierce =)

Suzy said...

Great pucture! You look great. Way to get back to your track workouts.

Unknown said...

Great splits, especially on the road! Everytime I've ever ran in a group I'm so scared about keeping up.. Love the race pic btw!

Nicole said...

Way to get back out there! I am too! Slowly but surely! :) Love that pic!!

Anonymous said...

cool pic...good run session, too...nice way to get back into the groove...

Christine said...

Looking good on the picture, strong and determined!! Good job on meeting with the running group, it seems your knee is getting better. YEAH!

Anonymous said...

Airborne picture- love it! You look strong there. And nice job getting back to the sessions!

Nicole Orriƫns said...

I loved the way you described running in winter. There's always this moment when I realize: 'Yep, now I'm breaking into a sweat!' and then I'll know I'm really working out.

http://www.momshomerun.blogspot.com

Molly said...

I think you look great in the photo! I remember that stretch well, unfortunately... : )

chris mcpeake said...

thats a wicked photo