Monday, June 14, 2010

Sore Muscles

It is interesting how every day activities and events can leave a person sore in places they didn't know they had muscles!

I experienced this first hand after Friday night.  Brian and I signed up for a kickball team through our workplace and Friday was our first game.  For the first inning, I planted my self at short stop and nothing eventful happened.  As I took the field for the second inning, somehow I ended up standing at the pitchers mound with the ball in my hands!

The pitching, combined with spontaneous sprinting and stopping with no warm up caused my left upper hamstring area to be very tight.  Saturday I woke up and before I got out of bed I could feel the soreness in my left leg!  I had a long run to do, I couldn't have soreness in my leg!

I was able to get out for a 7 mile run and the soreness eventually went away as I got warmed up.  But it came back with a vengeance Sunday morning.  I spent most of the morning hobbling around the house like a cripple.  It is the second day soreness that will really get you, combined with the soreness from my long run and I was just not going to be moving very fast that day at all!

This morning (Monday) I woke up and went to the track for some speed work.  The soreness was still present but I think the workout definitely helped!  I decided to try 1000m repeats since I haven't done them since the winter and I have a 5k, a 10k and a 15k race coming up.  I had found this website about good 10k interval training and it has some really good ideas to help mix up speed work sessions.

5x1000m @ 5k pace
4:05, 4:03, 4:03, 4:05, 4:07

The first 1000m I totally forgot where the 200m mark was on the track and ran past it as I finished the interval.  I guess I wasn't totally awake yet!

Happy Monday!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally relate! After hours of dancing this weekend my legs are super sore!!!

Thanks for the link; I was just mentioning to a friend that I really need to find new speedwork workouts cause I am super bored of mine. :)

Marlene said...

Ouch! Playing other sports always kicks my running butt.

AWESOME job on those 1000's. Hello speedy! I'm planning to run 5x1000 tomorrow but they won't be NEARLY that fast, speedy girl!

Molly said...

sorry about the sore legs, but it sounds like good cross training! : )

Anonymous said...

omg kickball sounds like so much fun! i remember playing it in middle/high school and i was way too self conscious to really let myself get into it. awesome to see that the soreness didn't stop you from getting some killer workouts in :)

Felice Devine said...

GREAT job on the 1000s! Those are tough but so worth it.

gba_gf said...

I had to chuckle about the comment "forgot where the 200m mark was..." because that is SO totally something I would do!

Chelsea said...

Oh man, gardening does that for me. Shoveling and hoeing kill my arms and shoulders!

Jen Feeny said...

I def feel your pain. All the manual labor I did this weekend totally kicked my butt!

Way to go no those 1000's girl! Holy fastness!

Nicole said...

I LOVED playing kickball in high school! SO fun!!! :) Nice run too!

misszippy said...

Except for the soreness, I'll bet kickball was a blast! Great job on the track--that was our workout last week.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Sounds like kickball will be a great cross training exercise for you as it works different muscles than running does - or works them more intensely!

Tricia said...

sounds like a great workout!

Teamarcia said...

1000m repeats are killer. WTG!

Amy said...

My goodness, you're fast!

Thanks for sharing the link to the interval ideas - I need to switch things up!

RunningLaur said...

So funny that you missed the first interval mark - I'd totally do that :)

Runner Leana said...

Oh ow, delayed onset muscle soreness! I hate it and love it at the same time.

Wow, great track session!!

Glenn Jones said...

Or you can wait until you become an old fart like me. Then everything hurts all the time!

Funnyrunner said...

Ya know- this makes me laugh. I arrived at your site because I was googling, totally separate from the blogosphere, "should I do speedwork with sore muscles?," an answer to which I don't have despite having run 12 marathons and being an avid reader of Runners World. The google search popped me to your blog which made me laugh because I recognize a lot of your followers as a fellow blogger myself (I follow Tall Mom Running, for example). So... nice to meet you. I haven't been blogging much lately! I still don't have the answer to my question...