Sunday, October 16, 2011

Runners' Hair Love

My hair endures a lot of abuse.  Every morning I run, it goes up in a very tight ponytail and then if its a work day I will blow dry and/or straighten it.

I try to avoid washing it too much but when I sweat I usually end up shampooing in order to not look like a total grease ball.  My hair is pretty fine and most of the time I just don't want to bother spending the time styling it so I just let it air dry and then it looks like I just rolled out of bed (as one of my co-workers fondly said one day)!

So last week I finally got a hair cut - a good hair cut.  Previously I would just wander into any salon and tell them that I wanted my hair "trimmed" and just a straight cut.  Well 15 weeks post crappy hair cut, I would look like this...


This time I made an appointment at a salon where a friend works and had her actually style my hair.  She added a few slight layers and a bit of a face frame - nothing drastic but a bit more girly and easy to manage.  Here is how it turned out...


Perfect! Still long hair - still able to put it up in a ponytail but now I have life in my hair and an actual style! And I love it.  Now I just can't get lazy and I have to do my hair everyday!

 Now I just have to figure out some good products to use in my hair so I don't destroy it by blow drying and straightening it everyday!

Do you style your hair everyday?

14 comments:

Nicole said...

love the hair girl! super cute! im chopping mine off after the wedding!!! :)

Runner Leana said...

Your hair looks great! Like you I also have fine hair. Earlier this year I switched from washing every day to every other day. I find that even after a workout it still looks god. I typically blow out my hair on day 1. On day 2 I'll curl it or put it in a bun. It all depends on how creative I'm feeling!

Meredith said...

First time commenter: I've had your new hairstyle for years and I love it. (Ok, well there was a brief period where I chopped it off around my ears, but we don't talk about that.) I know you said your hair is fine, so I don't know how well my styling stuff would work for you, because mine is thick, but one of the things I swear by is Redken Glass. You can put it on before or after you style it (I do both) and it helps keep it from frizzing AND defines your layers so people can see them. Go light on it though: too much makes your hair look greasy.

Christine said...

Looks great!! My hair is a disaster, I just don't have the skills and patience to do my hair every day, so ponytail it is. :(

Marlene said...

The new cut looks GREAT! So fresh!!

I abuse my hair and really don't bother with it most of the time. I used to blow dry and straighten daily, but lately I just shower and throw it up in a sloppy wet bun. I take the bun out after work and it's still damp!

Running Librarian said...

Great cut! I'm in need of a new cut too..I just keep pulling my hair back in a ponytail (the sign that I need it cut).

Jess K said...

Your hair looks great!

I'm in the same boat you're in. Lots of ponytails and it-just-dried-this-way days. If I'm headed to an important meeting or going out, it gets straightened or pulled back in a nice bun (depending on how much time I have).

Suzy said...

Your hair looks great! I do mine everyday, but I keep it shorter so it doesn't take too long.

Fruit Fly said...

Here's how I style mine every day .... I brush it in the car on the way to work. I'm the girl with wet, straight hair every morning!

Yours looks REALLY nice!!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Your hair looks wonderful! I love getting hair cuts. I only get 3-4 a year, so it's a treat for me.

From Memorial Day through Labor Day, I do not style my hair - I wear it wear it curly, so I just scrunch and go. Then Labor Day through Memorial Day, I blow dry and flat iron my hair every day... I don't love doing that, but it looks more polished and professional than curly hair... But at least I can do curly hair in the summer!

Anonymous said...

I love your new do!! :)

I'm getting my hair cut tomorrow, and feel the same way. Actually my hair has gotten so long that it gets in knots and it's driving me crazzzzy! And that is probably why I realized I have been wearing it in pig-tail braids for all my races this past year. Even the ponytail would bug me when I was running. I don't really style my hair everyday since it was getting long. A messy bun would do the trick. But I'm hoping with my new do tomorrow to change that.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Gorgeous new hairstyle! I basically wash mine and toss it in a ponytail EVERY DAY so it's a disaster!

Page said...

SUPER CUTE! It's crazy that there is such thing as a "good" haircut - but it's true!

Elizabeth said...

I love the new style! One thing I do to avoid washing my hair every day is just keep my hair in a bun in the shower and wet the the roots. This rinses the sweat but keeps the other area dry. Then dry the roots, which should cut your hair drying time down dramatically and make your hair healthier!