Wednesday, February 8, 2012

WIAW - Veggie Love

Happy Wednesday!! For the month of February, What I ate Wednesdays hosted by Peas and Crayons has a very special theme - VEGGIES!  When I saw this I was pretty excited because I am always looking for new ways to eat more veggies.
Back in November and December when I was doing the Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge (HBBC), I tried so hard to eat 7 fruits and vegetables a day but I always seemed to come up short.  I usually eat about 5 servings of fruits or vegetables a day but the extra 1-2 servings has been tough for me in the past.  So I am going to try this month to eat more vegetables than before!

I started last night by adding tomatoes to my homemade mac and cheese bake!  I used one can of diced tomatoes as well as two fresh tomatoes.  Dinner turned out amazing with all the cheesy goodness and tomatoes!  I went back for seconds it was so good and packed leftovers for lunch today!

Tuesday Eats:
Breakfast: One egg, instant cinnamon oatmeal, 1 cup orange juice
Morning Snack: Pretzel goldfish
Lunch: Mixed greens and spinach salad with carrots and tomatoes, turkey burger with swiss cheese and no bun, mixed nuts, 3 oreos, kettle popcorn
Afternoon Snack: Banana
Dinner: Mac and Cheese with tomatoes, 3 mini Reese's peanut butter cup cookies

Total Estimated Calories consumed: 2,054

I think tomatoes are one of my favorite vegetables but there are so many to love. How do you add vegetables (and fruits!) to your every day meals??


Rebecca said...

Hurray for more veggies! :-) Your day of food sounds so yummy, I just ate breakfast and I am hungry again! Haha.

Molly said...

yum, great idea adding the tomatoes! I add peas to pasta, or onions and mushrooms to scrambled eggs. I also have a smoothie, easy to get 3 fruit servings there.

Marlene said...

Veggies are so good in pasta bakes! Over the weekend my vegetarian sisters came over, so I roasted a TON of veggies, then mixed them in a casserole dish with cooked pasta, sauce & cheese and baked it all into gooey yummy goodness!

run50states said...

I added broccoli to my shells and cheese last week! soooo good! :) check it out on my other blog:

Laura Boll said...

I love the veggie focus, too... especially for February when there aren't tempting fresh/seasonal veggies all around.

Kevin @ HalfTRIing said...

When I was a kid I use to add Salsa or tuna fish to the macaroni for a meal. Both were good.