Wednesday, February 8, 2012

WIAW - Veggie Love

Happy Wednesday!! For the month of February, What I ate Wednesdays hosted by Peas and Crayons has a very special theme - VEGGIES!  When I saw this I was pretty excited because I am always looking for new ways to eat more veggies.
Back in November and December when I was doing the Holiday Bootie Buster Challenge (HBBC), I tried so hard to eat 7 fruits and vegetables a day but I always seemed to come up short.  I usually eat about 5 servings of fruits or vegetables a day but the extra 1-2 servings has been tough for me in the past.  So I am going to try this month to eat more vegetables than before!



I started last night by adding tomatoes to my homemade mac and cheese bake!  I used one can of diced tomatoes as well as two fresh tomatoes.  Dinner turned out amazing with all the cheesy goodness and tomatoes!  I went back for seconds it was so good and packed leftovers for lunch today!




Tuesday Eats:
Breakfast: One egg, instant cinnamon oatmeal, 1 cup orange juice
Morning Snack: Pretzel goldfish
Lunch: Mixed greens and spinach salad with carrots and tomatoes, turkey burger with swiss cheese and no bun, mixed nuts, 3 oreos, kettle popcorn
Afternoon Snack: Banana
Dinner: Mac and Cheese with tomatoes, 3 mini Reese's peanut butter cup cookies

Total Estimated Calories consumed: 2,054


I think tomatoes are one of my favorite vegetables but there are so many to love. How do you add vegetables (and fruits!) to your every day meals??

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hurray for more veggies! :-) Your day of food sounds so yummy, I just ate breakfast and I am hungry again! Haha.

Molly said...

yum, great idea adding the tomatoes! I add peas to pasta, or onions and mushrooms to scrambled eggs. I also have a smoothie, easy to get 3 fruit servings there.

Marlene said...

Veggies are so good in pasta bakes! Over the weekend my vegetarian sisters came over, so I roasted a TON of veggies, then mixed them in a casserole dish with cooked pasta, sauce & cheese and baked it all into gooey yummy goodness!

Anonymous said...

I added broccoli to my shells and cheese last week! soooo good! :) check it out on my other blog: www.badblueduck.wordpress.com

Laura Boll said...

I love the veggie focus, too... especially for February when there aren't tempting fresh/seasonal veggies all around.

Kevin @ HalfTRIing said...

When I was a kid I use to add Salsa or tuna fish to the macaroni for a meal. Both were good.

Kevin
HalfTRIing.blogspot.com