Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The best carbs you'll ever eat

Back in college, I came home one night from basketball practice and as soon as I walked in the door I smelled something delicious!  Usually I was the only one who cooked, so I was surprised to see that my two male roommates had made dinner.  It was delicious and super easy and I immediately stole the recipe. Seriously this is the best stuff ever.

The Easiest Mac and Cheese:

1/2 lb of elbow macaroni (about 2-3 cups)
2 lbs shredded cheddar cheese
1 can of stewed tomatoes (14-15oz) or a jar of salsa
3/4 cup heavy cream (I substituted skim milk - either one works)

First shred the cheese.  I used a mix and match of what I had in the frig.


 Set the cheese aside and cook the macaroni until almost tender .


Once pasta is cooled, take 3/4 of the shredded cheese and mix it together with the pasta, tomatoes and milk or cream.  Once mixed, pour into a 8x11 pan.


Use the rest of the shredded on top of the pasta.


Cook at 375F for about ~45 minutes.  Pull out of the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes then Enjoy!


And that is the easiest mac and cheese!

16 comments:

Lisa said...

Yum! I've never thought of putting tomatoes or salsa in mac & cheese. What a great idea!

Anonymous said...

mmm, that looks cheesy and delicious. and if boys who don't cook can do it, there is hope for us all!

Anonymous said...

mmm, that looks cheesy and delicious. and if boys who don't cook can do it, there is hope for us all!

Marlene said...

I have such a weakness for mac & cheese! This looks like a great variation - thanks!!

Kate said...

I have been craving something like this! I'll have to try it this week!

Anonymous said...

I'm such a sucker for all types of Mac 'N Cheese. Looks delish!

Anonymous said...

Oooh delicious! I love the idea of tomatoes.

Unknown said...

OMG, I love mac and that looks awesome!! I'm making it for dinner. Thanks!!

Being Robinson said...

oh i love me some homemade mac and cheese, the tomatoes are a brilliant addition. love it. and this is why i run... to eat.

Angie said...

yum!! that looks absolutely amazing!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Must try this week! Thanks for sharing!

Nicole said...

MAC n cheese is my most favorite!! And that looks yummy!!!

Nicole said...

MAC n cheese is my most favorite!! And that looks yummy!!!

RoseRunner said...

my boyf (can I say that? instead of boyfriend?) made chili mac today, and it smelled and looked amazing. It was turkey chili, so I was out for the count, but man now I'm craving mac so badddd

Anonymous said...

Ohhh that looks awesome! I will definitely be adding this to my recipe arsenal :)

Fruit Fly said...

One word: YUMMY!!!