Sunday, February 27, 2011

Half Marathon - Week 3

Monday - Easy
3.5 miles with 4x50m strides/30:55/8:50 pace

We got hit with snow over night so I knew I would have to hit up the gym for this run.  My alarm went off and I literally jumped out of bed.  The roads hadn't been plowed and I was pretty much the first person out on the roads but I got to the gym safely and did my run, then some elliptical and weights!

Tuesday - Tempo
5.5 miles/44:00/8:00 pace

Back to running club! 
(I joined this running team/club last summer after a co-worker convinced me to go.  It is great having a group of people to run with not only for the Tuesday track workouts but also weekend long runs.)

Wednesday - Recovery
3 miles/27:25/9:08 pace

Some easy miles on the treadmill in the afternoon.  It was sunny outside and I almost thought about driving home instead and heading out on the roads for this run.  But I headed to the gym to make sure that I didn't wimp out and ran my recovery miles.

Thursday - Interval Tempo
5.25 miles/42:10/8:01 pace

This was the same workout I did last week, except with less recovery time
1mi WU
2x 1mi at Tempo (7:03 pace) with 1 min recovery
4x 200m at interval (6:44) with 200m recovery
1 mi CD

The mile repeats felt easier and my body didn't feel as fatigued as when I ran this same workout last Tuesday.  Its great to see the little improvement.  Brian and I were leaving after work to go and visit his family so I had to do this workout in the morning.  My whole usual running schedule was a little off this week and I ended up doing Wednesday and Thursday's runs within 12 hours of each other.  My legs didn't seem to notice - running my recovery runs at a slower pace is really working!

Friday - Off

Saturday - Long Split Tempo Run
7.26 miles/1:00:18/8:18 pace

Friday we got hit with snow AGAIN!  I was worried I would have to run on the treadmill if all the snow wasn't cleared from the roads.  Thank goodness I woke up Saturday morning to dry, slush free roads!


I ran alone this week as I was with Brian visiting his family.  I got out on the roads early before all the fun started.  The plan was to run 2 miles easy, 2 miles at half marathon pace, 2 miles easy.  I ended up running 2 easy miles at 8:30 pace, 2 fast miles at 7:29 pace, and 3.26 miles at 8:43 pace.  Might have been a little too fast paced but it was still nice.

Sunday - Off

Total week 3 mileage: 24.5 mi

13 comments:

Christine said...

Great running week! I'm impressed you get all your runs in, even though it's snowing and you visit family. I always get distracted when things come up and have a hard time ti stick to the schedule. Good job!!

Marlene said...

Great job on this week! It's such a great feeling to see improvements. Glad the roads were clear for you!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Another great week of training! That is great that those mile repeats felt a little easier for you this time - nice to feel like your body is getting stronger and you are gaining endurance!

Anonymous said...

great week. although ewwwwww on interval tempos. i had to do them today. and ick. it's awesome though that you can notice improvements with them!

and double ick for snow. i woke up to snow this morning and cried a bit inside

Angie said...

Wow what a great week of running!! Great mix of workouts!

Nicole said...

Nice week lady!!

THe snow could stop ANY TIME now eh??? Im so OVer it!

Kim said...

Boo! What is with all of the snow there?! :P

Great week! Especially with the speedy miles in the long run and the two runs within 12 hours! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice running week - very strong! GUH - you must be so sick of snow. We didn't get any this weekend and I already never want to see it again!

Aron said...

great job on the week!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Two thumbs up for a great week.

Molly said...

great mileage! Glad you got out there before it got nasty, I can't BELIEVE it's still snowing.

Felice Devine said...

Great week!
I am so done with all of this snow, I have to say.

Anonymous said...

I am happy to hear you are back with your running club :) how fun!

Your progress has been great- this race is ALL you!