Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Summer!

It is the start of another week; another week of work and another week of running. Just one more week until the Boilermaker 15k next Sunday July 12th!


My new shoes are Nimbus 10s I think – this is the first time I have bought this type of asics and they feel pretty nice. They have the unusual lacing that curves to the side which is kind of neat. I have been waking up at 5am and pounding the pavement which has been really enjoyable because it is cool and quiet.


My knee problems haven’t evaporated completely but they have gotten better. This week of course will be light and so I am hoping that I can make it through 75% of the race without pain in my knees. During the 15k I usually get knee pain right around the 6-7 mile marks (not really sure why though).


I do have some exciting news on the half marathon front. I mentioned a while back that I plan to run a half marathon in September (the very same one that I ran last year for my first HM). Last year I ran it with my best friend Kaylie but this year she won’t be around to train for it with me and I am not even sure if she will be running it. I was a little bummed because I was unmotivated to train for the race by myself.


Last week I got an email from my other best friend Jackie saying that she wanted to run the Half marathon! I was very excited about this idea and since then have helped her decide on a decent training plan. I will post about all this and more next week after my 15k. From today there is exactly 10 weeks until the HM – that seems really close!!


I hope everyone had a fabulous 4th of July weekend! My favorite part had to be eating strawberry shortcake for dessert every night! I just love Summer!!

23 comments:

Marlene said...

Awesome that you have a training buddy for the half! That definitely makes it a lot easier to stay motivated.

Here's hoping your knee cooperates for the 15K.

Amber said...

That sounds GREAT! I wish I could convince one of my friends to train with me!

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear that you'll have someone to run with! It's always more fun!

No Longer Using said...

hooray!!! that's so awesome you have another friend who wants to train and run the half. i love running repeat races just becomes something you do! can't wait to hear your plans :) i am also back in asics- gel 1120s or is it 1140? they are working out really well. glad you like the nimbus!

Jamie said...

take care of that knee! that's great you now have a friend to train with for the HM!

Julia said...

Good luck on your HM, and on your 15K. I got some CW-X pants that really help with my knees on long runs; they have a built in knee support, so they might help with your knees.
Yay for summer, and for cake :)

Unknown said...

It's always easier to have a friend help you get out and run. Glad the new shoes are doing well.

Amy said...

Love the Nimbuses! Those are good shoes.

Exciting news about the half, too!!!

Jocelyn said...

Glad you have someone to train with! And I'm sure you'll kick but on the 15K next weekend :)

Kim said...

I love my Nimbus. How fun you'll be running with your other best friend. I love being able to run with friends.

Brian said...

My favorite part was laying around and doing nothing. Between the Tour de France and the AT&T open, I watched more TV this weekend than I have watched in a very, very long time.

Take it easy in your last week of training and good luck in the 15K!

Aron said...

YAY for the upcoming 15k and for the half marathon!!! so fun you have someone to train with :)

Nicole said...

Omg! How exciting for your 15k! Time flies! It will be nice having a training partner for the 1/2 marathon too!

Hope you enjoyed your holiday weekend!

Marci said...

I hope your doesn't act up! Good news on the HM front.

Heather C said...

Nice!! It's so fun to have a friend to train/race with, that will definitely help :)

Anonymous said...

It is always fun to have someone to train with. Especially, for longer distances.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Gosh I am late to post. Wow you have some fun races coming up, I hope your knee pain stays away.. And how fun that your friend wants to run too :)

Strawberry shortcake, YUMMY!!

Jeri said...

Ok, first I convert to your way of running in the morning. Then you buy the running shoes I'm eyeing (what color? I'm thinking PINK!) Then you post that you're running a half in 10 weeks, which I believe is the same as me, Sept. 13? Creepy. What plan are you following? We can "virtually" train together. Hah.

Natalie D said...

yay for a partner for the half! :) Hope the knee is holding up!

teacherwoman said...

It's always more fun to train with someone!

J.J. said...

Hey I'll train with you all the way from here! Mine is in September too!! Don't know how that would work though :)

Ms. V. said...

Which Half Marathon?

I Run for Fun said...

Yay...look forward to reading your race report this weekend!