Wednesday, August 5, 2009

It's good for the lungs

Two weeks ago I gave up running and have taken up swimming.

Last Monday (July 27) I started going to the pool in the morning with Brian. I go Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and it has been going really well.

I wake up at 4:30am and Brian picks me up at 4:50am and we head to the pool. By 5:30 I am slowly inching my way into the water! Its cold!! This is not like running at all!

Mondays and Wednesdays the pool has "long course" which is the lanes are set to the length of the pool and its 50m for a lap. I cannot go 2 laps in a row because I have no swimming endurance AT ALL! Fridays the lanes are set to the width of the pool and measure 25 yards - this sport is confusing!!

So I went for the 5th time this morning and found out that today would be the last day of long course. That is very sad - I was hoping that I would have more time so I could build up enough endurance to go down and back without stopping. Well I had to try it today because it was the last day.

I did 600m each day last week and this week was able to go 700m. Today I did about 400m warm up and then rested a bit before I tried to go the full 100m. It was tough but I did it!! I made it down 50m, hit the wall and turned around and came back without stopping! Boy did my lungs burn!

And now Brian even says I am getting better at this swimming thing but deep in my heart I miss running. Its nice not having to train for a race or have a set schedule...I definitely needed this time off. It just seems like everyone is out running now!

One last thing - I saw the movie "The Ugly Truth" last night with a bunch of girls from work. It was hilarious and rather vulgar but still very much worth it! A total chick flick but we all need one of those once in a while, right??!!

Happy Wednesday!

19 comments:

Julia said...

Swimming is so hard! I been swimming only like 4 times, and I still have to catch my breath at the end of each lap. I also don't know how to do an underwater flip/turn thing yet, so I also feel kinda silly! haha.
I know not running is tough; I'm so sorry, but try to enjoy the time off, and think of it as a great opportunity to become a BALLER at other sports! :)

Laura said...

I've been wanting to see The Ugly Truth, but didn't know if it would be worth it or not - really appreciate the heads up!

Anonymous said...

I started taking swim lessons as a baby. 28 years later I still swim 3 times a week...swimming is hard but eventually you will get there! Doing great so far :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I want to see that movie. I would miss running if I could only swim.. Thanks for the comment on my form. I think I look silly.

teacherwoman said...

I am glad to hear swimming is going well and you are make great progress! I know it's hard to be away from running, but it's nice to have something else to do to keep yourself active!

I saw "The Ugly Truth" too and thought it was great. There were a couple times that I turned to my friend and said, "Did he just say that?" ... but it was still hilarious!

Marlene said...

Good for you sticking with the swimming, J. I wish I had the guts to hit a pool.

I know it sucks not to be running, but you'll be back on the road soon and this swimming will make you even stronger.

Amber said...

I've been a swimmer my whole life and joining the masters swim team a year ago and swimming long distances (2,500 metres in an hour) three times a week was what built up my lung capacity and allowed me to start running! I could NEVER run before because I got too out of breath.

I haven't swam for a few months but I'm looking forward to adding it back in as cross-training this fall!

Nicole said...

Great job on the swimming! Thats amazing! :) way to go!

I saw the ugly truth last thursday and havent laughed that hard in a while! :)

Keep up the swimming girl! your great!

Anonymous said...

Way to try something different! Swimming is an entirely different type of endurance - you'll get there! and hey, then you're one step closer to doing a Tri someday if you want to :)

Jamie said...

oh that is so early to wake up. Nice job making to the pool and trying something new!

Anonymous said...

Nice job in the pool. Swimming takes time. You are doing great. Once you get the breathing down you'll be good.

Kim said...

Looks like you're improving on the swim. Great job.

You can miss your running, it's okay. But you're doing good by finding something to replace it right now. You're doing the right thing!

Keep up the good work on the swimming!

X-Country2 said...

Nice job in the pool. That's big progress in a short amount of time.

Aron said...

awesome job on the swimming!! i know it must be hard to not run, but your knee will thank you later!

Being Robinson said...

i'm just finally getting caught up on blogs. OMG, sooo sorry about your knee!! but swimming will help keep you busy ;) plus it's amazing how quickly you will get really good at swimming. one day you will go and it will all click and it will feel great, that's what happened when i got injured and had to swim.

in other news, in regard to your other posts, fun new bedroom. and on the honest scrap, i carry a lime green notebook too, in which i keep all my info and lists in. i love to scrapbook too!!

Natalie D said...

what made you take off? I need to take a break for sure. As soon as I can swim- next week, I plan to maybe take off some running? Great job swimming!

No Longer Using said...

WOW!!!!! first of all... 4:30am?!?! and i hear ya on the cold-factor. i remember swimming lessons,... i was always the LAST one in. why did they always have to be so early in the morning over summer vaca?!?! lol.

hmmm.. is a "Lap" a "there-and-back"??? wow seriously - impressive. tojust tackle a new sport like this-- for fitness!!!!!! i think if your lungs are burning that is a really good sign of cardio activity... hehehehee. and when you get back to running you'll just jump right back in :) i am glad to hear we aren't going to lose you to swimming forever,... :)

EndorphinBuzz said...

That's crazy early!!! Colder pools make for faster swimming. Good luck on building up your breathing technique. It will build quickly if you put in the effort. I remember when I couldn't even do a 25 yard lal without being out of breath a few months ago and now I can go for pretty much as long as I want without too much trouble.

Glenn Jones said...

Swimming is a great workout. My daughter swam competitively all through high school and actually said the other day that she was sorry she gave itup in college. She now swims in a Masters Program at UC Irvine. And she must like it - she's a girl that wouldn't ge out of bed before 10M - except on swim days she's out the door at 5:30 AM!

Oh - and those lane lines - there are two "seasons" in competitve swimming. Short course (25 yd) season (winter) and long course (50 m) season (spring). Not to mention all international swimming is done using 50 m laps.

Now - if they only made waterproof iPod enclosures that you culd wear while swimming those laps - all would be well!