Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I like the pain

Good Morning! It's Wednesday!

Last night I went to the running club's track workout. I knew the workout ahead of time, I knew it would be a lot of mileage but I didn't think it would be that bad.

All day I was nervous but once I changed into my running clothes, I felt calmer and ready to go. I arrived, spoke with the coach who introduced me to another runner who was joining the group for the first time. We stuck together for the whole workout and I was so happy to have someone to run with who was my pace!

The workout:
2.15 mile warm up
4x400m with 400m recovery
5 minutes rest
2000m at Tempo Pace
2x Kenyan Surge Drill
2.15 mile cool down
Total mileage: 8.8 miles!

The 400s were great, we had a nice little group all aiming for 90 seconds.
400m in 90 secs - oh yeah this pace is great, I could do this all day!
400m in 93 secs - I paced this one, went out too slow
400m in 88 secs - thats a little better
400m in 85 secs - really fast, can't breath!

The 2000m at tempo really wasn't at tempo pace but I just thought of it as more working on endurance. Once we finished that we had 30 seconds rest before going into the Kenyan surge drill -

30 secs interval pace
30 secs easy
60 sec interval pace
60 sec easy
120 secs interval pace
120 sec easy

This drill was so tough after everything else. We skipped out on the last 120 secs of the second set because we were just dying. Finally it was time for the cool down, which we took nice and slow!

Although painful, I absolutely loved running last night! It was nice to have girls to chat with while running! After the workout, I drove home and proceeded to raid the refrigerator, which I regretted about 20 minutes later when I was laying in the fetal position on the floor. Note to self - Do not eat anything with mayo in or on it after a hard workout!

This morning I woke up feeling better, which was a relief and now I am just enjoying the day! Enjoy the day!

19 comments:

Middle Name Marie said...

Sounds like a great workout. I need to get my lazy butt into some speed workouts!

No Longer Using said...

ahh! AWESOME! i want to come!!!!! sounds like an amazing workout. you are going to love this group more and more. interesting about the kenyan surge drill. someone is looking at their watch and you just run "fast" (like sprint? 6 min pace? 7 min pace?) for that time duration?

WAY to go!

misszippy said...

Great splits! I hate quarters more than anything else, so anyone who can knock them out gets a nod from me!

Anonymous said...

very tough workout but i may have to print it out and try it...if of course i ever make it out of the pile of work i have haha!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

i.would.die.

Great job girlie!

Suzy said...

Wow, your track workout looks ridiculously hard! Great job finishing it.

Tricia said...

awesome workout

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

That workout sounds TOUGH!! Way to rock it out and so glad that you made a new friend.

I love that you were nervous until you put on your running clothes, it is like your superwoman cape :)

Jamie said...

Intense workout! Great job at the track!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! The pain of a track workout is like no other, but it feels amazing when you're done. Awesome job knocking out those 400ms, and I have to admit that I laughed at the name "Kenyan Surge Drill" hahaha

All Things Jaime said...

Track workouts are my favorite of the week! Sounds killer! Nice job with it.

Aron said...

wowzers - nice job on the track workout!!!

Maureen Lisa said...

This work out sounds great!! Congrats on your 400s that's really great times!

teacherwoman said...

Wow! Sounds like quite the track workout! nice job!

Anonymous said...

I'm super impressed with this workout! You are a speed demon!

Amber said...

I really enjoy track workouts - ya, they are hard and maybe I don't LOVE them when I'm doing them. But I always feel so accomplished afterwards! And they work - doing weekly track workouts definitely made me faster last year!!

Nicole said...

I did a track workout last night and it was SUPER hard but i felt pretty BA when i was done! wooot!! :)

let me know when u get your skirt!!!

Anonymous said...

BADASS workout! Holy cow- seriously, awesome job!

Marlene said...

Sounds like you had some great company! Having a buddy for speed work is the best! Awesome splits!!