Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Melt your popsicle

It sure has been a scorcher outside lately. Yesterday the temps reached 94F and today is even hotter. Thankfully I am missing most of the heat as I am inside working.

In the case (which is my case) that neither your house nor your car have air conditioning, here are a few (interesting) things I have learned to help stay cool -

  • After a morning run, when cooling down is really not going to happen, opt for an extremely cold shower. This will not be easy, but it will be worth it when you don't start sweating again immediately after exiting the bathroom.
  • Try to avoid drinking hot coffee at work as this will just make you hot once again!
  • When leaving work, make a mad dash to your car and proceed to roll down all the windows and then zoom out of the parking lot to increase air flow into steaming hot car.
  • Once you reach home, proceed to change out of sweat drenched work clothes and into something else that you are ok with becoming sweat drenched.
  • Place a chair outside in a shaded area, optimally near a electrical outlet. Place a high powered fan in front of chair, plug into outlet and turn it on. Sit there and let the air blow over you.

So I am exaggerating with a few things on the list, but not having AC in the car is killing me. I have been driving the same car since I was 16 and the AC conked out about 3 years ago. Plus trying to cool down from the mornings runs has been hard when I am trying to get to work on time. I have been taking it easy this week with running as the Boilermaker is just 4 short days away!!

Hope everyone is staying cool! Happy Wednesday!

17 comments:

Marlene said...

This heat is awful!! I think I would die without a/c in the car.


Funny tips... I've definitely been doing the cold shower and NOT bothering with the blow-dryer!

No Longer Using said...

lol!!

so now i'm picturing the katy perry music video. candyland on crack.. have you seen it?

i have even stuck my head in the freezer for a second...!!!!! it is WAY TOO HOTTTT...ahhh.

Anonymous said...

as much as i dread them excruciatingly cold showers are awesome in the summer...once your body goes numb haha

Anonymous said...

My first car did not have air- let me tell you how much I appreciate my air!!!!! 102 today in NJ!

Jamie said...

I did one summer like this without a/c. Never again! Good luck staying cool and maybe invest in a window ac unit for the house!

RunToTheFinish said...

one sumemr when I worked in Atlanta..this sounds horrible but I was working for this company that sold educational books and part of our training was that we should take a 5 minute cold shower every morning. I personally gave that a big FU after one morning, but know people that did it every day! Never once turned on the hot water for an entire summer!

Molly said...

Yikes, sorry about the no A/C! Hopefully this weather will break by the weekend.

btw, I'll be on the lookout for you on Sunday! I'm wearing a grey tank, camo skirt and either a hat or visor.

Meghan said...

The heat is a total bummer. I always try to run early in the AM to avoid it if I can. Luckily, I signed up for a 5K tonight - it was nice that they scheduled it in the evening to avoid hot temps!

Sara Elizabeth said...

I can totally relate to this, I don't have a/c in my apartment or car either. It's been pretty brutal but thankfully I can escape the heat by working out in my office gym in the am and stay a little late at the office so it's not SO hot when I get in my car.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow - no a/c in the car? That is rough! I have a/c in my car, but don't have central air in my house. I do have a wall unit in the living room but i have been trying not to use it because it makes for a very expensive electric bill. But i gave up this sunday when i came home and my condo was 87 degrees. So now I have been running it non-stop! Don't even want to think about the electric bill!

Jocelyn said...

It is too hot! I hope you can find a way to stay cool! We need a break in this heat!

Badgergirl said...

Wow. The heat's got to be brutal for you with no AC in the car or apartment. Great tips for trying to survive it. I especially like the last one :)

Nicole said...

this heat is insane... my stupid AC in my car is fussy and unless i'm going like atleast 45-50 mph for some reason it shoots out hot air.... so totally not ideal for driving slower in town... sigh. i could fix it but that costs money and i'm lazy and id rather complain! HAHAHAHA

you sure will boil in the BOLIERmaker this weekend. har har har... <3 heheheehe

Anonymous said...

I agree on the NO on coffee when its hot. I haven't had it for a while and it does make a difference!

No A/C is rough these days! Take care of yourself!

The Laminator said...

It is seriously hot outside, isn't it? Craziness! Good tips. No AC?! How do you deal?

Best of luck in your Boilermaker race, I know you'll do really well!

Jeri said...

My AC in my car isn't working either. Death. Plain and simple. Holy crap.

Glenn Jones said...

There is something wrong here. I live in a desert - and today is the first time I've seen the sun in several days! An you're talking about temps in the 90's? Wow.