Monday, July 26, 2010

Ten Ugly Men 5k Recap

Thank you so much for all the comments on the running skirt post!! Every comment was so nice and really made my day!

Saturday was a warm day. I don't remember exactly how hot it got, but the meteorologists had been predicting a high of 90F. Fun.

I picked Brian up at 7:30am and we headed to the race which was taking place in a local park. Start time 9am. I ran this race two years ago so I knew the course but that really didn't make a difference.

After a super short warm up, we stood at the start and waited. We watched all the other people gathering at the start. There was the really tall, tan boy who shaved his legs. There was super skinny, super fast woman of two kids. There was my old college track teammates and also my new track club teammates.

I wanted to run well and fast. I did not account for the weather.

Soon enough we were off and running. We started on the park main road and then crossed over a bridge and made a loop back to the start. As we hit the bridge for the second time, I start getting passed by a lot of girls. I didn't think I was going that slow so I stayed at my pace and then I saw her. She was a high school soccer teammate of mine, and she just whizzed past me. I pretty much lost it from there. She had always been a better runner than me but I didn't think she was running races at all, I hadn't even talked to her since 2003.

I hit mile 1 at 6:34 and kept going. I thought I was doing great, right on pace but I was mentally losing it because I let that girl get to me. I let being passed get to me. We continued through the park and I just kept going slower and slower. Approaching a small hill I wanted to stop and walk. I wondered why was I out here running this race. Why was I doing this to myself?

I want to forget the rest of my splits from this race. I continued to run but I had no heart at all. I even let the girl pass me whom I had picked out pre-race as "the girl I must beat".

But what did I expect, right? I mean three races, in three weekends and I just thought I would be fine. I never let my body fully recover with all the races and then the tough Tuesday track workouts with the club.

It's a good lesson to learn, plus I just need to get my butt in gear and start training harder. I also think I don't race well in heat but really who does?

The rest of Saturday was spent consuming food and water. And I ate too much so Sunday I went out for a run to shake out kinks and get myself over the race. It worked because I felt better and I let everything go.

This morning's run was also good. A bright full moon greeted me as I started my run and I enjoyed being out in the cool morning.

Happy Monday!!


Run Like a Mother has an amazing post today. I strongly suggest reading it HERE.

18 comments:

Marlene said...

Sorry to hear that you had such a tough race, J. Three weeks with three races PLUS your track workouts is a LOT! And racing in the heat is BRUTAL.

Glad you had a nice run this morning to get that smile back on your face.

Maureen Lisa said...

Don't stress too much. I know how you feel. There was a girl in high school that I constantly felt like I was competing against with everything. Friends, guys - you name it. She was always a runner and we played sports. I'm determined to get good and beat hear best score. May seem dramatic but motivation is motivation.

The Laminator said...

Weather makes a big factor, especially if you're not used to it! You are probably pretty wiped out from racing so much in consecutive weekends. I know you're capable of better so don't one bad race get to you. Keep training hard and you'll have your revenge on the 5K sooner than you think! Have a great Monday!

Molly said...

The heat definitely didn't help you at the race, so don't beat yourself up. Just chalk it up as an off day. Happy to hear that your race was good this morning!

No Longer Using said...

aww J keep your head up. your heart will follow soon! you're such a positive blogger buddy i always am impressed at your bubbly positivity!!!!!! it is contagious!!!!! i know what you mean when your heart sinks like that. you put yourself out there and it sounds like quite the mental stage you set for yourself, too. let it go. you are more than one race and i can assure you that everyone knows you are a talented runner and you don't have anything to prove. i think what matters most in this post-collegiate pursuit of greatness (i'm still figuring it out) is finding a way to be competitive but enjoy it. we won't win them all. (too bad, huh!) hehe. i never said i wasn't competitive... alas.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough race. I still think you were awesome though! Thanks for sharing that article- it really is amazing.

Anonymous said...

saturday was wicked hot and humid here too. bummer the race was so rough but way to go out there anyway! glad you got to enjoy cooler temps this morning

suzy, http://countdownto13.blogspot.com/ said...

Ugh. My heart went out for you reading this post. So hard not to compare ourselves to others...I'm super guilty of doing it. Sorry you had a bad race, chin up! :)

Indi said...

Kinda sucks when a bad run happens at a race, but this heat is pretty rough! Looks like you shook it off and are back on track :)

misszippy said...

Sorry you had a day like that. FWIW--I think we all have someone out there that we love to beat and it's hard when we don't. You'll get her next time!

Nicole said...

Sorry you had a rough day sweets!!! You'll get em next time!!! :) hope your enjoying the skirt!

Pining for Pinterest said...

That sucks!!!! I hope you have a great rest of the week!

Anonymous said...

Good days and bad days- we all have em! You have put your legs through a lot lately- don't let it get you down :) I am sure youll be kciking butt in no time again!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had a tough race! I've definitely been there where I keep asking myself why I'm running and just want to forget the whole thing. Luckily like you it was a 5K so it was over soon enough

Chelsea said...

Weather definitely affects perceived exertion and pace. Plus I think it's hard to get it together mentally for races that are too close together. I need some time to forget the pain!

+1 to loving the cute pink skirt. I love running skirts- so comfortable when it's hot and humid.

X-Country2 said...

ugg, heat is the worst!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Sorry to hear you had a tough race... You have had a pretty intense racing schedule so it was probably bound to happen... but it still sucks to have races like that!

Hope you give your body some time to re-coop from the back-to-back race weekends & track work outs!

Jamie said...

The weather can be a huge factor physically and mentally! Sorry you had such a tough race! Give yourself some rest and I'm sure you'll be back kicking some booty in no time :)