Friday, June 15, 2012

Friday Favorites: Vegetable Gardens

I thought I would kick off this summer with some Friday Favorite posts.  I wanted to start by showing parts of my life that don't necessarily come up when I talk about running.  And since I am kind of in non-training mode for a bit, it gives me a chance to share other parts of my life.  So today I present my vegetable garden!


Brian and I planted carrots, broccoli, green and red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and yellow and green zucchini (planted from nearest to farthest).


Two pots of Zucchini
About a month ago, Brian and I started ripping out the garden by the side of our garage.  It was overgrown and full of weeds because the previous house owners really did not take care of the gardens.  We pulled everything out, added a nice store edge thanks to our neighbors who had old stones they were throwing away.  Then we added nice top soil and peet moss to hopefully create some good soil for our plants.  We added the fence to hopefully keep out the bunnies. 

We may have gone a little overboard when we bought the vegetable plants because I ended up having to plant a bunch into pots - we now have 5 different large pots filled with vegetables.


It has been almost a month since we first put in the plants and we are starting to see them grow! They have gotten so big and we already have some yellow zucchini growing!


Plus our first tomato is already on one of the plants.  I am hoping by the end of the summer we are over-run with veggies!

I think the reason I wanted to have a garden this year is because my grandfather always had one.  Whenever I would visit in the summer, we would go into the backyard and pick fresh cucumbers for lunch or tomatoes for dinner.  Even though my grandfather died when I was 14, it feels like his memory lives on because he passed on the tradition to me of having a garden.


Happy Friday!

6 comments:

Marlene said...

Fun idea sharing some non-running posts. I should do that... especially since I seem to have a bit of blogger's block lately!

LOVE your veggie garden. I have always wanted to do this but never make the effort. It must be so neat to see your hand-planted veggies growing!

Brittany said...

I sooo want a garden in the backyard! Someday :)

Being Robinson said...

vegetable garden's are THE best. it will be so fantastic to eat the fruits of your labor!

Kim said...

I love that it is a memory of your grandpa!

I am anxious to see how big your carrots get. Ours were TINY. Think Barbie sized carrots. It is amazing we found them.

I also wonder if the zuccini will go all over like ours did. It took over our garden! :)

Erica Gorman said...

What a beautiful garden!

Jamie said...

Nice garden! I would love to have one, we just don't really have the space for it where we live right now.