Monday, June 25, 2012

I can't stop buying shoes

I kind of got caught in a down pour this morning on my run. When I first set out, there were some dark clouds in the distance but they looked like they has gone past.  I was at about mile 3 when the clouds over head started to get really dark. Then the rain drops started to fall and by the time I was at mile 4, it was raining so hard I could barely see.  My pace picked up quite a bit as I tried to get home but I was still a mile away.  By the time I reached my driveway, the rain has completely stopped, but I was soaking wet from head to toe.



The 5 miles this morning were pretty easy and I felt good out there running.  Sadly my Ghost 5s are now squishy and filled with water from the down pour.  They are going to have to dry out for a couple of days.  Thankfully I have another pair of shoes that I tried out on Sunday.

  

Brooks Pure Flows!

 


On the recommendation from my running buddy, I picked these new shoes up and decided to give them a try.  Since the Ghost 3s are not longer available I wanted to have an extra pair of shoes just in case the Ghost 5s weren't my favorite.  And the 5s are different from the 3s - they aren't bad but I do miss the Brooks Ghost 3s.


The Flows have a 4mm drop compared to the 12mm drop in the Ghosts.  I was pretty excited to try a more minimalist shoe and my Sunday morning run was a perfect time to try them out.  I had 2.5 miles on the schedule and I enjoyed every minute of it with my new shoes.


I can't really tell the difference in the drop just by looking at the shoe but my feet could tell.  It is hard to describe but with less drop on the shoe, I felt like I was running better.  I am not sure how my form looked or if I was striking my heel less but it did feel good.  As my running buddy says, "These shoes feel good but funny!".  I know that these shoes will take a little bit of adjustment and I plan on slowly working up my mileage in them so my legs and feet can get used to the lesser drop.

Today - a day after the run - my calves aren't that sore (I was warned that I might have sore calves).  In fact, I don't really feel any difference from running in the Flows yesterday.  It seems like the transition into the Flows will be easier than I thought!

11 comments:

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Yes, I've been wanting some Pure Cadence shoes. Just holding out for July, budget wise.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I have two pairs of the Pure FLows now and I LOVE them. I had the hottest run today and just looking at your pictures from running in the rain had me jealous.

Elizabeth said...

New shoes are the best. It seems like most people can transition into a lower heel drop without problems, but that's not been the case for me. My shins ache a lot even with just 3 miles of a slightly reduced heel drop! I hope you ease into them and they work out for you. I've heard wonderful things about them!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

I LOVE my flows!!! :) In fact, I bought the Pure Cadence and still like the flows more! :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Good for you for getting your run in despite the rain! I haven't tried this, but my running coach said shoes dry faster if you put newspaper in them... might be worth a shot!

We have a 30% off shopping day this weekend at a local running store and I am debating getting new shoes. I already have a new pair waiting for me in my closet when I am ready for new ones, but it probably wouldn't hurt to have an ADDITIONAL pair. :)

Phoebe said...

My last 2 pairs were Brooks Glycerins, but I didn't love the Glycerin 10. So this past weekend I bought the Brooks Ghost 5s, and I love them! They are a lot like the Glycerin 7s, in my opinion. I love how light they are.

Phoebe said...

P.S. Did you see that they have the Brooks 3s on sale on the Brooks website? They're only $65!

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Ghost-3-Womens-Running-Shoe/1200712A320%2e060,default,pd.html?start=8&cgid=womens-sale

Anonymous said...

I got 6 new pairs of running shoes in the last 2 weeks! I found 4 pairs online of my perfect running shoe - the Saucony Guide 4! I love this shoe! At the same time I'm testing new shoes, currently I test Brooks Pure Cadence and Defyance 5.

Being Robinson said...

my running partner just got some of those. we wear different sizes, but i tried hers on, i like that they're cushy! she said her calves have been hurting from them a bit.

RunningJunkie said...

I am such a Brooks fan. I have been considering getting a pair on minimalists, so those might be a good pick.

PS - Running in the rain is the best.

Jamie said...

I love minimalist shoes! All of mine have a 4mm drop and I love it! I like running in the rain too :)