Monday, June 18, 2012

Its been three weeks

Time flies when you are recovering from a marathon.  It feels like much longer than three weeks since I put my body through the torture test also known as the marathon.


And even though my legs have long lost the soreness, I still feel the same.  I don't want to do that again.  But looking back, I am sure glad I did it.

It was a great experience.  Running and training through snow and ice, sun and heat, rain and sleet.  Fighting through long tempo runs and just plain long runs.  Looking back, I put in so much time and effort to this race and I am proud of how it turned out.  I don't think I would change a thing.

My mind likes to play tricks on me, because you see, my running buddy is already planning her second marathon in the late fall.  And it is slightly temping because I know I will end up doing most of the workouts and long runs with her anyways. 

So the one side of me says,

"Go for it. What is another marathon.  You will love it the second time. It will be different than the first.  The first was the worst.  The second will just be awesome.  No pain."

And then the other side reminds me of what actually happened on May 27th,

"remember how miserable you were? Remember the pain. Remember your legs aching so bad you thought they were going to fall off?  DON'T FORGET! It wont be better the next time."

And for now I am sticking with the idea that my first marathon was the one I will run for now. I can't say I wont do another one.  But I know it will most likely be a very long time before my second.

I am finally feeling like myself again.  My legs are back and feeling quite speedy I must say.  My easy morning runs are not so slow as they were back in April and May.  And I think I have finally have caught up on all my sleep so I feel energized and refreshed after a good nights sleep. 

It feels good to be back, good to be back to normal and I think I am ready to start ramping up the miles again and training.

My next race is actually not to far away.  I will be running the Boilermaker for the 7th time on July 8th (although not seven consecutive years since I got sold out of it last year).  I am slightly excited but also scared.  I haven't run that hilly 15k race in almost two years and I know this year will be hot.  I just hope I feel good and enjoy the race. 

After that race I am sticking with the plan of no racing during the summer.  Last year I called it "No Race July" and ran no races in July and so this year I am extending it through the whole summer.  I just don't like racing in the heat and humidity. 

So that is my plan and I am sticking with it.

12 comments:

misszippy said...

I think you're smart not to make a decision right now. I think when you're still on that marathon high (which lasts a month, doesn't it?) it's easy to make a decision you might not really want in the end. Take it one day at a time.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I think it's smart to never say never. Then you don't have to eat your words - like I am right now. After the Twin Cities Marathon in 2006, I said I was done. Then I started blogging and met other runners (I had no running friends before blogging) and it started to sound tempting and then Amber and I decided to run one together. Then after Portland, I said never again because I met my goal (and beat it by almost 8 minutes). But then i joined a run club and now I have gotten sucked back into it and I expect to do many marathons... Give yourself time to fully recover. You may be tempted to run one again. Or maybe that will be your one and only marathon. Time will tell!

Kim said...

No Race July/Summer is a great plan! When I "race" in the summer it's NOT for time. Because I am so miserable in the heat.

Happy you are feeling back to normal!

You should train with your friend and sign up last minute if you feel like it. I think the second marathon is actually easier, but that could because my first was when it was in the high 80s and sunny (and I was coming off of three stress fractures, lol).

Johann said...

I'm sure you will run another marathon but you will do it when you feel you are ready. That is the wise thing to do. Enjoy the rest and recover 100%. The feeling of "want to do it" will return soon.

Being Robinson said...

i like your plan. racing in the summer isn't fun. i'm doing some fun 5k's, but no serious racing until september for this girl!

Rebecca said...

I agree with bits and pieces of what everyone else says. Ultimately though, I agree most with Johann. You are competitive and I think eventually you'll want to run another marathon. That might not be this fall with me, and that is okay. :-) I think your "I want to" feeling will only come from wanting to try to do better.... maybe qualify for Boston. Not because you really want to run 26.2 miles.

I should take a cue from you and not race this summer, like I decided to do last summer. But I won't get faster and gain any mental strength from not racing! That said, I don't think I will race all-out if/when its hot. YOU are smart for not racing. But I bet you will end up runing the Boilermaker harder than you think you will..... (!)

Laura said...

I think I agree most with Lisa and Johann's advice. If you really don't want to do a race in July, that's fine - but certainly don't be afraid to sign up for one that comes along just because your plan was to take the month off :) You're allowed to change your mind either way. I was burned out after my 50 states and declared myself done with marathons, but I eventually got back to where I love them.

That said, definitely don't feel like you HAVE to do another marathon. You already accomplished so much doing one!

Allison said...

For some reason I haven't found running quite as bad so far this summer, but I have a feeling that might change this week (as we get into the upper 90s in a day or two). I tend to avoid summer races as well, even a 5k can be pretty miserable.

Jamie said...

We're racing this summer but just for fun, we are also doing the Boilermaker it will be the first time for both of us!

Anonymous said...

My first marathon was anything but good, but my 2nd marathon was awesome! I was much faster and felt much better during training and the race. It feels like your body is ready for it.

Nicole Orriëns said...

Running in the heat and humidity is terrible. I totally agree. It makes me feel sluggish and awful. So I can totally sympatize with you for deciding not to race during Summer!

Momshomerun

Marlene said...

Oh come on, you know you wanna! :) Stick with Becca no matter what this time and even if it gets painful, you can get through it together. It's never as hard as the first time!