Wednesday, June 20, 2012

It's hot enough for hot shorts

When I first laid my eyes on these hot shorts in the clearance rack at the sporting good store, I knew I was meant to have them on my legs.  We were destined to share many sweaty miles together.  It was love at first sight.


The forecast for this week predicted hot.  Hot and humid and sticky, wear as little clothing as possible to run, pour water over your head, hot.  I knew I needed to wear my new hot shorts.  Perfect.

It was slightly awkward changing into my outfit at work and walking out to my car.  I managed to avoid seeing any people I actually knew but I did get a flew looks from other random employees who saw me sneaking out.

From this - 


To this -

 I was pretty excited to try run in my new shorts. And when I got outside it was hot so I was glad I was wearing them.  Although I love my Nike Tempo shorts, sometimes in the heat and humidity, which is when I tend to sweat the most, the fabric just sticks to me and makes me feel gross and uncomfortable.  None of those problems happen with these shorts because they are spandex and are very fitted. (Plus sometimes I sweat so much in my Nike Tempos, that it looks like I peed my pants. Not Cool.)


Once I got to the track to meet my running club, the sun was beating down and the air was thick.  There may have been an air advisory or something but that really didn't stop me from running.  I did my usual warm up of 2 miles then hit the track for the workout.

7 total miles later, with 6x400m at tempo pace (~7:06 min/mile) and I was soaked with sweat but I felt good.  And the shorts worked out really great - I am even thinking about wearing them in the Boilermaker race in July.

The only downfall (or complaint I have) about these hot shorts (spandex shorts) is that they ride up on me a bit. I seem to have a bit of an irregularly shaped upper thigh/butt area so I don't think that helps much in keeping these shorts in place. But even with that, I love them. And they make me feel fast which is always great, especially when its hot and that usually means running slow.

So even with the heat, I tried to make yesterdays run as awesome as possible.  The heat wave continues until tomorrow, then the temperatures apparently are returning to normal (70F +/- 5F). Either way, I think running in the heat is good practice.  Gets your body used to the heat that is coming in July and August!  Stay cool and stay hydrated!





**These hot shorts are also known as Under Armour spandex compression shorts.  They come in many different colors including black.  I was not given these shorts for any sort of review and the opinion is my own.

13 comments:

Marlene said...

Hahaha those are awesome shorts! I wish I could pull them off. (Trust me, I couldn't!)

Way to brave the heat!

RunningJunkie said...

My car is currently reading "102+". That's as high as it goes. Crazy hot! Be careful!

Kim said...

I started wearing spandex-y type shorts last summer for the same reason - they don't cling so much when you sweat! Mine are a lot longer though, lol :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Those shorts look awesome on you! I have a pair of Lulu fitted shorts and they are great. Mine ride up a bit as well. I love the pattern of them!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the shorts, they look fast!:)

Melissa said...

Cute!! Maybe try bodyglide at the bottom of the shorts? Sounds counter intuitive but it might help "stick" them in place. I do that to the shorts underneath my running skirts and it seems to help.

Being Robinson said...

i love shorts like that for summer running. temps here are regularly 90+ from early june through sept. so they are a must for me! those are cute, i only have nike shorties, i might have to check out the UA ones too!

Jamie said...

Love those shorts! I have a pair in black that I wore this morning, I think mine might be a little bit longer though. I get some funny looks at work when I change into my running clothes too!

Amy said...

I just returned to the running world about a month ago and have learned that the right clothes do make the difference! I love wearing the shorter shorts as they are much more comfortable and don'tt cling as much. Yay!

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

I was tempted by a similar pair of shorts I saw on sale the other week. I wasn't sure how I felt about patterned spandex, but after reading this I think I need to go and get some!

Elizabeth said...

I love them! It makes such a huge difference when you love your runnung clothes!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has the sweat issue with Nike tempo shorts! If I wear anything other than my black pair I have that issue. Otherwise I love them. I'll have to look for some hot shorts. I've never tried them before.