Sunday, March 13, 2011

Half Marathon - Week 5

Monday - Easy with strides
3.1 miles/28:52/9:19 pace

This was a very, very easy run - my legs were still recovering from the long run Saturday.  After some nicer temperatures, the weather turned cold again and I had to bundle up to stay warm on this morning run.

Tuesday - Interval
6 miles/46:30/7:45 pace

I went to the running club practice after work and brought along my garmin!  The workout was:
4x1000m at 5 mile race pace
1x800m at tempo
4x100m strides

I am still learning how to use the garmin and especially with intervals it was a little tough.  Thankfully I was running with some other girls who gave me the splits because I couldn't get my watch to work correctly.  It was either auto paused or stopped when I wanted it to be working!

Wednesday - Recovery
3 miles/26:38/8:53 pace

Great morning for a recovery run.  Nothing special just enjoyed being outside.

Thursday - Tempo
5.5 miles/45:20/8:15 pace

Dragged myself out of bed and to the gym at 5am for this workout -
2x1 mi at 5 mile race pace
4x200m at a little faster than race pace

The pace felt good, but at the same time I wondered if I could hold it for 5 whole miles during the race. 

Friday - Off

Saturday - 5 Mile Race!
7.25miles/57:26/7:55 pace

The official start of racing season in my city and it was a good judge of my current fitness level!  Feeling pretty good about where I am at but still have 7 more weeks until the half marathon! 

Sunday - XT
Bike/40 minutes

I have been slacking on the cross training and even though I wanted to slack again today I made myself get on the bike.  Reading the new runners' world and my book definitely helped the time go by faster!

Total week 5 mileage: 24.8 mi

16 comments:

Nicole said...

Another great week!!! Keep it up!

Keep playing with the garmin, you'll get it and love the watch even more!!!

misszippy said...

You had a great week! I feel a good race season ahead of you!

Marlene said...

Great job this week! Hopefully you'll get the hang of your new toy soon. :)

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

AWESOME WEEK GORGEOUS GIRL!!! You killed your first race of the season...you are AMAZING!!!

Little Miss Runshine said...

keep up the great training!!

PS. you are awarded a blog award! :)
http://www.littlemissrunshine.com/2011/03/rest-day-again.html

Unknown said...

Great week! You'll love the garmin soon enough. When Mike got one I thought it was a silly gadget.. wasn't long before I was hooked!

Anonymous said...

your weeks have been so great lately. i totally bet you can hold that pace for 5 miles. you're a champ. doubly so for getting in that xt! question: do you find that if you read your intensity goes down? for me that's the case and i can't figure out a good way to balance the boredom on just going on the bike with distracting myself and slacking.

Aron said...

GREAT week!!!

you will get the hang of garmin... if you are at the track I just lap at the intervals rather than setting it up all nuts. I also keep mine off of auto pause for that.

Anonymous said...

Nice running, and congrats on your race, lady!! Hooray!

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog! Wow training for a half marathon- good for you! I'm currently training for a 10 k, so a 1/2 marathon is next on the list once I survive this one ;) Love your blog- keep it up! :)
twitter: odie_

Christine said...

Great training week. I'm still impressed how you get up SO early in the morning :)

Amy said...

Great job on your training, and your race! I've been out of the loop (again) and so I should also wish you a happy belated birthday. I'm going to try out some of those stretches you posted too!

Beth said...

Awesome week and congrats on the speedy 5 miler!

When I use the Garmin for intervals I never press "stop" I just press lap every time I want a split. Then I download it all at the end to see what the times were.

Molly said...

nice PR in your race over the weekend! looks like you're off to a good start to the season!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Another great week of training! I always struggle to incorporate xtraining, too... I need to work on that as I know xtraining is so good for my body and tends to help prevent injuries.

Kim said...

I love reading RW on the bike! :)

Have you tried setting up interval workouts in the Garmin yet? I haven't used mine yet, but have set it up. It will put in rest and everything (even a warm up and cool down).