Monday, January 31, 2011

Good Cross Training

 At dinner Saturday night, a couple friends invited me to go skiing with them on Sunday.  I have not been downhill skiing since 10th grade, which is 9 years ago.  I used to ski all the time.  My mom and I had season passes because we lived so close. 

Sunday morning I pulled my skis, boots and poles out of my closet and got everything ready.  We  met up at 4pm and planned to ski until the mountain closed at 10pm!  The temps started out around 24F (-4C) and dropped as the night went on, down to 10F (-12C) and felt even colder in the wind!  Even with the chilly temps it was a gorgeous night and I had so much fun! 
 

Even though it had been quite a few years, everything came right back!  After a few runs down the mountain it was like I hadn't even taken all those years off! I tried to take a few pictures with my phone while on the chair lift but with my gloves on I couldn't make the touch screen on my iPhone work.  I tried using my lip but all the pictures just came out blurry.

By the end of the night my legs were tired and my knees were starting to hurt.  I was worried I would wake up Monday and be really sore but when my alarm went off at 5am this morning I felt great. 

I bundled up again and headed out for a quick 2 mile run.  I knew that if I didn't get up I would regret it later and it was only 2 miles which was the perfect length.  I ran a quick out and back with the first mile being mostly downhill which led my second mile to be mostly uphill (mile 1- 8:09, mile 2 - 8:48).  It was a great way to start off the week.


There may be more skiing than running in my future as we are supposed to get hit with a huge storm Tuesday night. 

How was your weekend?  Happy Monday!

11 comments:

Marlene said...

Awesome job on the ski! Sounds like a fun night and great workout. Good for you making it out for your morning run today too!

Laura said...

Skiing sounds awesome!
I may have to take that up as we are supposed to get a huge storm this week as well. Yuck.

Amy said...

I almost never ski, but I always love it when I have the chance. It's so much fun, and doesn't feel like a workout until the next day!

Unknown said...

That sounds like great fun! I'd love to try skiing

Unknown said...

I have NEVER been skiing and I feel like I am missing out!

misszippy said...

Sounds like a great time. It does make you feel like a kid again, I think.

Molly said...

what fun! I havent gone downhill skiing in years, I stick to cross country now, because I'm so clumsy!

Joanne said...

Oh You're SO Lucky You Know How to Ski!
I think after my experience this past weekend, I'll be on the bunny hill indefinitely.

Good AM run. Way to get it in there.

Anonymous said...

lord, i went skiing a few weeks ago and it was fun but HARD. way to hit the slopes :)

Christine said...

Great cross training, sounds like a lot of fun!! Good job on getting up the next morning!!

Nicole said...

Looks like a blast! Ive been dying to go skiing! Maybe someday!