Monday, January 11, 2010

Snowshoeing!

Yesterday I went snowshoeing with Brian and some close friends! I know some of you may not be familiar with snowshoeing so check out wiki for some info HERE! Basically you just strap these things to your feet and walk around on the snow! They allow you to walk in the snow and not sink like you would if you were just walking in snow with boots. My parents bought theirs from L.L. Bean and I love them. I am even thinking of asking for some for my birthday!

We headed to a local park and just trekked around the woods! There were some steep up and down hills but it was a lot of fun! We spent a little over an hour outside - it was really cold, about 6F when we started but it was beautiful!!

Brian and I just starting out on our hike!

The guys being silly!

The Hill we climbed up!

The view from the top of the hill before we climbed/slide down!


This morning I went to the gym and did 400m repeats on the treadmill. I didn't want to go too fast right off the bat and then fall off the treadmill so I started off around 6:58 min/mile pace and increased the pace for each following repeat. Then I looked online this morning and found this cool website/calculator thing that helps to convert your pace to actual time that you ran for a certain distance. It has a lot of options and I am not sure how accurate it actually is but I know that a lot of us are running inside and hoped this could help! I also found this treadmill pace chart that helps to shows your pace with a certain incline!

Hope everyone had a great weekend! Happy Monday!

26 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Snow shoeing looks so much fun! I've always wanted to try it! Great job on your "not that fast" run.

Pining for Pinterest said...

I am so excited that you posted the pictures! You have such an amazing pace!!!

teacherwoman said...

snow shoeing sounds fun. I have never tried it but I would love to sometime! I am sure it could be a good workout too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link! Have fun in all that snow :)

Anonymous said...

I would love to try that!

Anonymous said...

6*?! Ha, um, huge props for still heading out to trek around in the snow. ;)

I've never seen the treadmill calculator thing!! I always put mine on an incline just to "simulate" outdoor running...never thought about how it would affect the pace...

glad your pkg finally arrived!! I was a little worried, since I sent it out a while ago. ha! :) enjoy!

Amber said...

Looks fun! What a great crosstraining workout, too!

X-Country2 said...

I've always wanted to try that. Looks like fun and a great workout.

Julia said...

It's so hard to imagine snow when it's beach weather here!
But it looks really cool; I've never seen one in action. Look at that Hill you climbed! That's a really cool pic!

Felice Devine said...

Great pics! Looks like lots of fun.

Jeri said...

I'm thinking about investing in a pair of shoe shoes! What brand of shoes did you use?

Tricia said...

Looks like fun!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That looks like so much fun! I haven't gone snowshoeing for years. It is warming up here so I need to do that one of these weekends!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Snowshoeing sounds like so much fun!! What a great outing!

Nice pictures!

Badgergirl said...

Snowshoeing looks like it was fun! It's on my list of things to try this winter!

Glenn Jones said...

Looks like fun! Until you said 6 degrees.

You need to have a talk with your boss. Imagine making a living getting in the way of your blogging!

Being Robinson said...

that looks like a lot of fun, and i bet it's a killer workout too! i really want to try that.

Nicole said...

That looks like a blast! i love trying new things!!! Great job on the 400m repeats!

Alisa said...

I'm not really a snow person but I do LOVE snow shoeing, it's so fun!

Lisa said...

awesome! My dad just got a pair of snowshoes for Christmas. I've heard it's such a great workout and so different from skiing! Looks like you had a lot of fun!

You might want to check out my post today. You were tagged!

kilax said...

We are going to try snowshoeing for the first time this Sunday! I am so excited! Do you just wear normal boots and strap the snowshoes on?

No Longer Using said...

yay!!!!!!!! looks like you had a great place to go! that is what i would wonder-- where would i go around here? but i have always wanted snowshoes!!!!!!! i went a couple times in college and it was really peaceful. love you photos!

Chelsea said...

I love snowshoeing. I actually have a pair and should take them out more often. Thanks for the treadmill links, too.

EndorphinBuzz said...

Looks like fun. I wonder how fast one could go with these :)

Maureen Lisa said...

I've never heard of snowshoeing! Ha wonder if we could get them on our website!! Hahah

Marlene said...

Wow, it looks like you were having so much fun! I don't know if I'm coordinated enough for those things, but I'd love to try!