Sunday, January 16, 2011

Finding my Dress

After visiting nine different bridal stores over the last month and a half, I finally found my dress this weekend.

Let's rewind first -

Last Thursday, I set up more appointments to try on more dresses. This would be my fourth attempt at finding the perfect dress. The first place I had heard some rumors about them being pushy, snippy and arrogant. A few steps in the door and the lady almost wouldn't take us because she said we were late (which we weren't). Her mood quickly changed when my mom threatened to leave. She took us upstairs to the bridal area and showed me a few dresses. Most of their samples were out of my price range (the most expensive one was $20,000!) and I just didn't feel comfortable there. As we were leaving the lady asked how many dresses I had tried on so far and I replied "about 30". The lady almost fell on the floor and said that was way too many and I needed to stop. How can I stop if I haven't found the one I want?

We had time to kill before going to the second appointment so we stopped into another bridal shop just down the street. Although we knew we wouldn't find anything here, it was great just to try on some beautiful dresses!

The final appointment was at the original place where I had first tried on dresses. This was the place where I had found a dress that seemed perfect except for the price. After I got the dress on I looked at myself in the mirror. It was gorgeous but something just didn't feel right and I couldn't just say "yes" to this dress because I hadn't found anything better. I didn't want to settle.

We went home that night and in the morning I wasn't any more convinced that we had found a dress. My mom called me at work and suggested I make one more appointment at this place she had heard of from a co-worker.

My mom and I were the first appointment of the day and had the whole place to ourselves. I tried to describe to the woman helping us what I was looking for in a dress. She said she thought she had just the dress for me but pulled about 5 for me to try on. The first dress was gorgeous and I loved it! We put that one aside and kept going but nothing else measured up.

The first one had everything I wanted - a chapel length train, fitted through the bodice, detailed beading that was not over the top plus it was priced right! I put the dress back on and I just knew that it was the one! I am so glad that I waited and didn't settle for just any dress!

Here's a little peak at the bottom of the dress -


Besides finding my dream dress this weekend, I was able to get out for a run on Sunday. It was a cold and windy 3.6 miles with hill repeats at the end. This morning I headed to the gym because the temps were -2F! Now that is cold! Another easy 3.5 miles on the treadmill and some weight lifting.

How did you spend your weekend??

28 comments:

Angie said...

I'm glad you found the perfect dress!! The bottom looks pretty!! That's so exciting--congrats!! :)

Val said...

The bottom of that dress is GORGEOUS! And unique! Way to go!
Val
sisterbison.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

congrats on finding a dress.
yes, a wedding dress is not something u have to settle for!
wooohooooo

Suzy said...

Congrats on finding YOUR dress! The picture is beautiful.

Velma said...

The dress looks amazing!

Jamie said...

Congrats on finding your dress!!! Such a big milestone in the planning process. It looks beautiful in the teaser can't wait to see the whole thing!

Unknown said...

All this wedding talk is so exciting! Glad you found the perfect dress :-)

misszippy said...

So glad you found THE dress! Sounds like a perfect weekend.

Amber said...

Awww yay! I'm so glad you found the perfect dress! And based on that sneak peak it sounds GORGEOUS :)

Marci said...

Catching up one your blog, didn't know you were engaged! Congrats and your dress sounds beautiful!

Runner Leana said...

So awesome that you found your dress! The bottom looks beautiful! Boo for pushy sales ladies. How can she tell you to stop looking? Besides, IMO, 30 dresses is not that many. 100 yes, 30 not so much.

Anonymous said...

hizzah for the perfect dress! i really want some boy to ask me to marry him just so i can pick out a dress hahah

Anonymous said...

That is terrific! Boy...sounds like you had to deal with some pretty interesting folks, as well as try on a lot of dresses, before finding a keeper!

Kim said...

Yay yay yay I am so happy you found it! And from what I see in the sneak peak, I can tell it's beautiful :)

What is with people in bridal shops being such jerks? We encountered a bit of that too. It's weird.

Joanne said...

A productive weekend. The dream dress and a run. Good for you. Now you can start working on all the other details of the wedding. AH! It won't get any easier but it is fun. :)

Molly said...

YAY! So excited for you! The tease that you gave looks so pretty.

No Longer Using said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole said...

We found our dresses in the same weekend!!! eeeee!!! im so excited too!

Running Librarian said...

Congrats on finding the dress!

Jen Feeny said...

Ooooooooooo I love the bottom! You tease!!!! So exciting you found "the one" can't wait to actually see it on!!! :)

SGRMSE. said...

woww, seems rather elaborate. i plan to just have something really simplistic but i like the unique girly-playfulness. can't wait to see the dress in full!! :D congratulations also (on getting hitched!)

d.a.r. said...

Oooh gorgeous!!!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Hey pretty lady, love the dress!! I tagged you in a post today.. Was looking back and you have been commenting for SOOO LONG!! Hugs

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Hey pretty lady, love the dress!! I tagged you in a post today.. Was looking back and you have been commenting for SOOO LONG!! Hugs

Amy said...

Looks BEAUTIFUL! Congrats on finding THE dress!

Aron said...

AHHHHH so exciting!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see the whole dress - on you! How exciting!!

I spent the weekend in Tucson with my sister. It was awesome! The temps were in the 70s and it was so sunny. I got to do some hiking which was an awesome work out and so much fun!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS on finding the dress! Where are you getting married at?!