Saturday, January 29, 2011

Joys of Winter Running

The best part about winter running is that you can sleep in on Saturday morning after working 45+ hours all week and know that the temps wont be above 30F!

Since I still go to bed at 10pm on Friday nights, I can only sleep in until around 8am.  It's still 10 hours of sleep.  I woke up around 8:15am and settled in on the couch with my apples and cinnamon oatmeal and coffee.  Around 10am I finally got up and changed into my running clothes. 


After some dawdling, I finally got out the door.  The pace felt effortless and I just glided along for 5 miles.  Compared to yesterdays run (2.8 miles at 9:03 pace @ 5am), today was 5 miles at 8:21 pace and both runs felt the same.  It is amazing how my early morning runs are so much slower which I think is a result of heading out the door 10 minutes after waking up.

Once I got back and showered, I did some yoga for about an hour which my legs hated but made me feel so much better.  Then I had the best lunch ever - grilled cheese and tomato sandwich! 

Now time to lay around for the rest of day! My cat definitely has the right idea!


Have a great weekend and happy running!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow your cat is such a gorgeous fluffball! Have a great day!

Marci said...

Good start to the day, I agree the best part of winter running is sleeping in!

Christine said...

Great pace on your long run! I like sleeping, but on the other side I enjoy being done with the run early. I can't wait for spring, best time to run!! :)

Tracy Simmons said...

I am with you, I love outdoor winter running. I usually head out around 11am. I have been sick the past week and am itching to get back out there :)

Amber said...

Haha! I was just saying to some ladies in my run group this morning that starting a run at 8 am feels SO EARLY in the winter yet last summer when I was marathon training I started several runs at 5:30 AM!!! Haha. Perspectiveee!

Angie said...

Good job on your run!! I usually find that I run faster in the morning than I do around lunchtime.. not sure why that is! Everyone is different I guess :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I commend you on running in that weather! I can not even imagine it. It's been sunny and in the 70s for about 2 weeks. Today was in the 60s and I thought it seemed chilly.

I wish I could run quickly in the morning but I run at a snail's pace. The world is definitely more peaceful at those hours.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sorry!! My comment posted multiple times!

Nicole said...

yay running & sleeping in! wahooo!

Molly said...

wow, perfect morning!

Amy said...

I agree, it's nice to be able to relax in the morning! I didn't go out until 3pm today! I'm supposed to meet my running group tomorrow morning at 9am, but I'm not sure if I'd rather run with people to distract me from the cold, or sleep an extra hour and head out when it's less frosty!

Joanne said...

So glad you had a great run. I know what you mean about the Sat. run, so much easier when you have that extra hour of sleep.

Love the kitty. :)

Jamie said...

that cat rocks!

Sleeping in on winter mornings is definitely a plus side of winter running. Nice job on the Saturday run!

Glenn Jones said...

Is that a cat or a doorstop? Way to get your run in.

Kim (Book Worm Runs) said...

Aww!! Your kitty is adorable!! :) I love being able to sleep in on the weekends!! Of course, sleeping in for me is 7 am but considering I get up at 4:30 during the week 7 is great! :) Nice job on the run!!

Marlene said...

I love sleeping in a bit and taking my time with tea/breakfast before a run. We need more weekends...

Kim said...

Ha! Love the cat pic!

And great pace. It is nice that you don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn in the winter! Pretty soon it won't be like that (trying out optimism here, ;) ).

Anonymous said...

I would say that is the ONLY good thing about winter running!