Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thursday night run

I have been slacking on my morning outdoor running. Hopefully next week I can get back into my regular running schedule. This week I had to settle for an early evening run.

Getting out of work at 4pm is the best because there is just enough daylight to get a decent 4 mile run in.

I changed into my under armour cold gear (the top I got for Christmas and I love it), pulled on my gloves and headband and hit the road. It was colder than I thought so I was a bit cold to start out with (28F/-2C). Maybe one layer of under armour spandex was not enough?


After about 10 minutes, I warmed up and fell into a groove. I know a lot of people say that, but I really only feel this way in the winter because I can actually feel my body warm up. I had mapped out a short loop and a long loop so I could go either way depending on how I was feeling. I chose the long loop, 4.3 miles of peaceful running where I really focused on enjoying every step!


Afterward I took a few pictures just so I could remember this run! I didn't notice I had sweat stains on my elbows. Seems I only really sweat in two distinct places - my elbows and my armpits.



So now that my run is done what to do with the workout clothes? Caitlin over at Healthy Tipping Point posted early this week about "The great stinky workout clothes debate". She talked about re-wearing workout clothes.

Yes that does sound gross but I must confess that I do it too.

Only in the winter!

I only have two pair of good cold weather spandex and 3 tops. So I usually try to wear them a few times before washing them because I don't really sweat that much.

In the summer there is no way I could do this unless I was absolutely desperate and didn't have any clean laundry. I sweat way too much to re-wear my summer workout clothes!

Do you re-wear workout clothes or is that just too much?

23 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I will re-wear outer layers--jackets, headbands, gloves (unless I blew my nose into them the entire time, gross, yes) and vests. Anything that touches my skin gets washed. I cannot even stomach thinking about rewearing running shorts. My crotch sweats SO much. Is that totally TMI? Ha! I am sweatiest there, between my boobs and my elbows. So, yeah. Anything that comes in close contact with one of those areas gets disinfected ASAP, haha!

Amber said...

I TOTALLY do! In fact, I'm going to rewear my running tights + long-sleeved shirt that I wore on Tuesday when I run tomorrow morning. It's been hanging in the bathroom airing out for that specific reason!

Kristin said...

My sweaty clothes don't smell as long as they dry well. So I hang them in the bathroom and rewear.

Jordan said...

Agreed. I only have a couple of base layer items for the winter so I'll hang them up and wear them again a couple days later, so long as they've aired out well. I have a pop bottle method for my gloves and hat too haha, I put each glove inside out and upright on 20oz bottles and my hat on a 2 liter.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Have you seen my blog? I re-wear outfits all the time.

I Run for Fun said...

Hmmm...I do re-wear when I go on shorter runs. I sweat too much to re-wear, on runs longer than 5 miles.

Nicole said...

ive been rewearing outfits lately... call me dirty but atleast i hang it to dry! :) id like to think my sweat smells like roses but sadly thats not the case!

we have the same shirt by the way- i just got that top too! i love it!

Anonymous said...

i do it too.
i feel guilty when i do it at the gym, but if im running outside, i dont care as much. nobody can smell me! lol

Anonymous said...

i do it too.
i feel guilty when i do it at the gym, but if im running outside, i dont care as much. nobody can smell me! lol

See.Kate.Run said...

I do it if my runs are short and it is cooler out. Especially if I have runs scheduled back to back. I usually wash them after their second outing though :~)

EndorphinBuzz said...

You look so serious and determined in the pics, I love it!

I also re-wear my running clothes, especially for short runs. I usually change the base layer every time and reuse the 2nd and 3rd layers if they didn't get too wet.

Molly said...

I do wear my outdoor gear more than once....that's funny about your elbows!

Anonymous said...

I re-wear work out clothes all the time.. or else I would just be doing laundry all the time!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

SOOO NICE to see your pretty face :)

I cant wear clothes over, I stink too bad and would get itchy.. might be a bit easier in the winter.. THANKFULLY I have loads of great gear..

hugs

Kellie said...

I'm impressed that you can get out there and run when it's that cold. I whine and moan about running when it's 45 degrees!

I'm guilty of wearing my workout clothes over again. But I'm more on the I'll do yoga/bootcamp in it today, run in it tomorrow. I don't sweat much at yoga or bootcamp so I feel like it's ok.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Good job on the run! I hope the temps warm up here soon... we are in a cold spell right now so the temps are around 0 and w/ the windchill, they are below zero. :( But I am going to Tucson next weekend and I plan on running outdoors w/ my sister! Can't wait!

I have never re-worn work out clothes... I could maybe re-wear the pants I would run in outdoors, but that's it...

No Longer Using said...

i love that orange top!!!

i re-wear outer layers but not inner-layers.

i have been getting out there every morning this week!!! but i run so slowly. i don't even want to speed up. i am just happy i am out there that early. lol. it is such a nice way to start the day regardless of pace. plus i'm not really training for anything. just trying to drop a couple of el bees to see if i feel more inclined to try to train.

you are the queen of early morning so you will be out there next week i know it!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Yeah, I'm not a big sweater either. I usually reuse workout gear a few times if it doesn't stink and I didn't get totally gross sweaty in it. I feel like it's not that unhealthy (i let my stuff air dry first) and it's better for the environment. After working out at the gym though, I'm usually pretty sweaty since you don't have a breeze so I'll wash that stuff.

Anonymous said...

I've only reworn things like the Nathan hydration vest multiple times without washing. I know folks do it though.

Unknown said...

I don't rewear workout clothes but I really hate doing laundry.. maybe I should!!

Jeri said...

I'll wear fresh clothes to the gym and rewear stuff when I'm out on the bike trail. No shame here. :p

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

You are way too cute in your under armour gear!!! LOVE IT!!! Yay for getting out and running after work....I am usually too tired!! I am glad you go to bed at 9 too ha! I have bad hygiene for most things but I cannot wear workout clothes more than once ha!

Kim said...

I always get the elbow sweat stains too! Those get really cold if you ever have to stop for a bit!

I will re-wear my tights, Under Armour compressive tops, and jackets if they don't smell too stinky after they dry. Oh, and headband/balaclava hood/gloves.