Thursday, April 19, 2012

The hardest workout

The toughest workout of this marathon training schedule had to be today's.

2mi warm up
3x3mi at tempo pace w/ 3 min recovery
1mi cool down

Earlier in the week, the weather looked great for a lunch time run and since my running buddy was busy after work for our usual running club rendezvous we decided to meet at noon on Thursday to run.

The temperature when we started was very close to 70F with ~15mph winds.  I thought nothing of these two factors until about half way through the first set of 3 miles at tempo.  The wind was in my face and I was frustrated because I felt like this workout was taking more energy than it should.

Once the first three miles were over, I was already feeling drained.  The sun was beating down on us and I just was not used to the heat.  I said to my running buddy, "Maybe this is what all the people who ran Boston felt like, except much worse."

We started the next set and the wind turned into a greater hindrance than a help with the tempo pace.  Every step was a mental battle to not stop running.  Sometimes you just have those runs, they happen every training cycle and I was about due for one.

The final set was the worst of course, but somehow I was able to dig deep and barely pull out negative splits (by a second or so) on the three sets.  After finishing, I vowed that lunch time was strictly reserved for easy runs and not tempo runs.  Once I returned to my desk, showered and back in my work clothes, I quickly consumed my whole lunch and 32 ounces of water. 

The heat had taken its toll on me today.  I just got unlucky in the fact that the first warm day, I decided to do a tempo run in the middle of the day.  So it was a bit of poor planning on my part but it was still good to get this run done.

12 miles total at lunch was a bit of a stretch, especially since I was gone for almost 2 hours (with changing and showering post run) but thankfully I work in a place that is flexible like that.  Not that I can do this every day but its nice to have the chance every once in a while.

Post run tonight, I am still ravenous for food and water.  Brian worked late and so I decided to work on the leftovers in the fridge instead of making a brand new meal.  I realized that if I was single and alone, I would most likely make and eat some type of tacos every single night.


Leftover grilled chicken with cheddar cheese, tomato and guacamole on a burrito tortilla.  Hit the spot. For now.

5 more weeks to go until the marathon.

8 comments:

Coleen said...

Damn, that is a tough workout! How do you determine your tempo pace for these types of workouts?

p.s. love your blog!

KellytheCulinarian said...

That sounds killer, especially for a mid-day run.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Wow, that is a tough lunchtime work out! That is awesome that your workplace is flexible, though! Mine so isn't - people don't even really leave for 30 minute lunches!

I think every training cycle inevitably has a couple of tough workouts. They make you mentally stronger. Tough to go through them, but they do serve a purpose. I had a couple of really hard workouts last training cycle - mostly on tempo nights.

Jamie said...

Great job Joanna!! I don't know how much of a difference doing it after work would have made, it was still really hot when Mike and I did our brick workout. It just makes you that much stronger for getting through it!

Kim said...

That is an awesome hardcore workout. WTG for fitting in it during lunch, in the heat, with the wind. This will make you stronger and mentally prepared for the marathon, for sure!

Writing that made me think about how I have been doing double digit mid-week runs and feel bad about it since I am not training for a marathon. But I am having fun and that is all that matters!


LOL, that comment does not make sense. I guess I feel better seeing you do double digit runs mid-week (even though you ARE marathon training). :)

Anonymous said...

Good job on running 12 miles during lunch! That is awesome you can do that!! Are you excited for the marathon?

Marlene said...

I can't imagine 3 x 3 miles at tempo. WOW!!! Way to tackle that beast of a workout, you are putting me to shame! :)

Can't believe you did that at LUNCH too!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Nice work. THat is a serious workout, especially to do on a lunch hour. And yes, I could eat burritos or tacos or quesadillas several times a week if it were just me. So many ways to change them up.