Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Semi Solo Tempo Tuesday

Tempo Tuesday - It comes around each week and this week I was not looking forward to it. 


The longer the tempo miles get, the harder the workout and tonight was an especially long workout.  Last week I did 2x2mi at tempo pace and this week it bumped up to 2x3mi at tempo.

All day at work my mind would slowly stray away from my work and drift to my workout.  I was doubting my ability to run that fast for that long.  What if my legs were too tired and I just could not hold on?  What if this workout was just too hard for me?  What if, what if, what if! 

Why do we as runners let these thoughts control us and let us lose sight of the fact that we can run fast and run well!

By the end of the day, I did my best to push aside all the negative thoughts and headed to my running club.  I warmed up alone and really thought I was going to have to run my tempo miles solo but then a friend showed up.  She was tapering for a marathon but still had to do some tempo miles and although she wouldn't be with me the whole time, at least I would have a buddy.

We headed out and started the first set.  My legs actually felt good and as we continued along the miles flew by.  At the end of the first three miles, we stopped and recovered for three minutes before starting again. 

When we started the second set, my legs still felt good but I could tell I was getting tired much faster than the first set.  At about a mile into the second set, my friend veered off to do a cool down and I continued on alone.  The final solo miles were hard but with about a mile left I began to count my steps.  At first I was counting my steps for a minute to see what my revolutions per minute was.  My coach suggested this as a technique to keep stride rate up and distract from the pain at the end of a race.  After I had figured out my stride rate, I just continued to count.  I counted every 20 steps then started over again.  Somehow this distracted me from how tough the end of this run was and kept my pace fast.

I am so glad that this workout is done but also very proud that I did this.  Sometimes having a buddy for half a workout is better than none at all. 

7 comments:

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

That's funny - I count by 20s a lot when my runs get hard too. Definitely did that this morning near the end of my tempo.

Marlene said...

I often count my steps as a distraction! Awesome job getting the workout done. I always obsess all day long if I have a workout to do in the evening.

Kim said...

Whoa. 2X3mi is hardcore! I often think I am not going to be able to do a speedwork, and am so happy when I get through it. Stupid mental games. I like the idea of counting steps!

You are rocking these, rung

Allison said...

I think tempo workouts are a lot harder mentally than intervals. It's intimidating to think about holding a fast pace for that long. Congrats on getting it done!

Elizabeth said...

Congrats! Tempo workouts are the toughest for sure! Glad you got it done!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Nice! That is a tough workout! I did 1x3mi last night and thought that was tough. A 2nd 3mi at that pace would have been tough.

I totally psych myself out about workouts. One of my coaches has talked to me about this and I know I need to work on it (and I have gotten better), but I tend to really doubt myself...

Anonymous said...

Awesome job!!! Never heard about the counting method but it makes sense. I will try during my next tough run :)