Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tempo Intervals

Thank you for all the supportive comments about my last post about my running block.  I will be honest that last week was tough for me and I was depressed because my running took a nose dive.  I looked back at the past 5 weeks of running and it was clear that I did need to step back.

A few of you suggested I find some races and in fact I have been keeping a secret from all of you.  I have decided to run a few races BUT they are still a long way off; first one isn't until the end of April.  The race is being run on a local golf course and I think it is a 5k but last year it was 6k so I am not sure but either way I am sure it will be fun!!

So on to my recent workouts:
Monday -
AM:  2 miles on the elliptical, 2 miles on the treadmill
PM: yoga

Tuesday (today)
AM: 10 minute warm up, 7 x {2 mins at 7:03 pace, 3 mins at 8:20 pace}, cool down

Even though my past two runs have been on the treadmill, I still felt pretty good.  Since the weather is going to be so nice later in the week I thought I would save my real interval workout and try to get to the track!

I think this week is going to shape up to be better than last week! Only one more day in March then we are on to April!!  Happy Tuesday!

16 comments:

Anne said...

If you think about it, end of April is not so far away :)
Glad you're having a better week!

teacherwoman said...

Happy to hear you are having a better week! Chin up, girl! :)

misszippy said...

You'll be doing that first race of the season before you know it...always a good motivator!

Lisa said...

Sound like good workouts! Great to have a goal set, I would love to run a race through a golf course, that sounds fun!

Unknown said...

Sometimes the treadmill is just what I need. And I'll often work harder at the treadmill out of guilt, so I say stay with the treadmill if it's what gets you out there.

Marlene said...

Good news that this week is already going better and exciting that you have some upcoming races!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for April- summer will be here before we know it!

akjenniekt said...

That's great that you've signed up for a race(s)! Sounds like this week is better then last week :-)...

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

The end of April isn't at all far away! Sounds like a fun race. Heck, my next race is 10/10/10, and I don't even think of that as far away! ;) But I guess I have a skewed sense of far away because I know i will need to start training for it in June (it's a marathon).

Anonymous said...

glad things are looking up for you. and woot to nice weather at the end of the week! i'm saving up my runs for when the weather improves too.

and i was going to say that the end of april is only like 4 weeks away buttttttt lots of others have. oops i guess i did say it :) haha

Felice Devine said...

Cheers to a good week! Sometimes speedwork/tempo runs/etc are exactly what you need to break out of a running block.

Molly said...

It's always good to have a goal to work towards....hope you're feeling better!

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

Some good weather should definitely improve your mood towards running! Just like anything, we have our good and bad days. It'll get better :)

Being Robinson said...

sometimes a break does just the trick. i took a forced break over the weekend because i was sick and i'm feeling soooo much better about running now! so hopefully that break helped, so far it sounds like it. plus a little spring weather never hurt a running girl. :)

RunToTheFinish said...

I'm not sure I'm ready for April, holy cow! Great job on the runs, some days I can really hit my best tempos on the mill

Anonymous said...

The end of April will be here before you know it! That actually scares me.. I can't believe how fast march went! Great job on the runs and yay for races : )