Saturday, March 17, 2012

Semi Solo 20 miler

This week was all about just taking it one day at a time.  And seeing where my runs would take me.

After having that little stomach bug last week, I thought this week wasn't going to turn out too well.  My appetite took until about Wednesday to finally come back and I was having trouble hydrating.  Tuesday at my running club my calves cramped up during my intervals.  Thursday it happened again, although less severe.  I knew I was still dehydrated.

My training schedule had this Saturday as my first 20 miler (of two total on the schedule).  A part of me thought, no I shouldn't do it but another thought well I need to try.

So early Saturday morning I met up with my usual Saturday morning group and headed out on a 12 mile loop.  I started running with a very nice man and we chatted the whole time.  It was really nice to have the company and it made the miles fly by.  We ran one of my favorite routes which includes a portion on an old railroad bed.  When we got back to the car, I made the decision the head out again so I drank some water and ate a gel.  Then I packed my phone, keys, water, and gu chomps into my nathan hydration pack and started out on a 8 mile route.

I was feeling surprisingly good - the weather was a perfect 50F with some fog and I was taking in the sights.  Those final miles began to tick off; the first 6 which went pretty fast, the final 2 were slightly tougher.

The route I had planned to run for my final 8 miles, had a portion of trail that I ran with my running buddy just four weeks ago.  Compared to that time, the trail was perfectly clear instead of covered with snow!

Thinking back now, the run seems like a blur.  I know breaking up the run into a 12 miler and an 8 miler made this run so much easier.  I got to a point on the last 8 miles where I was talking to myself out loud, giving myself encouragement to keep going.  20 miles really is a long way and after finishing I was just astonished that I had actually accomplished this for the first time.  

Once I got home, I suffered through an ice bath.  Each time I take one I know that it is helping me but it really drops my core temperature.  Even with a super hot shower, it took me a long time to warm up.  I actually had to go outside into the sunny 70F weather to finally get warm. 

And in honor of St. Patrick's Day and also to help me refuel (it just kind of worked out), I made corned beef and cabbage in the crock pot.  It turned out delicious and there are plenty of leftovers for tomorrow!

Hope everyone had a great St. Patrick's Day - I am pretty tired from my run so it looks like it wont be a late night for me!


Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Congrats on finishing a strong 20 miler! That is a huge accomplishment and it sounds like you did amazingly well! I hope you are feeling more hydrated and are not too sore today! Well done, you!

Amber said...

Nice job! I definitely think breaking up runs like that helps a lot. I am about to head out for an 18-miler this morning and I'm NOT feeling it. Hopefully it goes as well for me as your 20-miler did for you!

Nicole Orriëns said...

What a difference in that trail! I love how the seasons change the running enviroment!

Mom's Home Run

Jamie said...

Great job! I'm glad you were able to accomplish your first 20 miler! Don't worry about breaking it up, that's completely fine!

I hope you are hydrated again!

Marlene said...

Way to go on your first 20! You really rebounded from being sick. So awesome!!!

My runs are often broken like that due to running longer distances that the group. Mentally, it is so much easier.

Kim said...

Congrats on your first 20 miler! You kicked butt!!! And amazing that what the trail looks like without the snow. If you are running a road marathon then training on the trails will make the roads seem easy!