Monday, June 6, 2011

Avoiding a runners' tan

I have very fair skin and every summer I start out with very white legs and arms.  Eventually I start to get all kinds of tan lines from my running shorts, running watch and running tops.  Of course a watch tan is very cool to show off to all my friends but it does not go with a wedding dress (or a bridesmaids dress).  Neither does criss cross tan lines on my back.

How to avoid summer running tan lines:

Option 1: Run in the morning



Option 2: When running in the morning is not possible,

Wear simple running tops that wont produce weird tan lines and allows for easy sunscreen application.


 Applying lots of sunscreen!


Wearing hat/visor and sunglasses.


So far so good - no tan lines that I can see, but this is just the start of the summer!

14 comments:

No Longer Using said...

great tips! that is a nice visor!!!!! i never think to wear them. does it bother you at all while running? any recommendations of good running visors?

misszippy said...

I do all of the above, and I still manage to get the lines. Pretty sure my watch line is permanent!

d.a.r. said...

My lines are SOOO bad!! Especially my running shorts and sock lines. Gross.

Marlene said...

I wasn't a runner the year we got married and I remember having a hard enough time avoiding tan lines. I was all about strapless tops - of course, those won't work great for running!

Beth said...

I just go with it. Obviously use sunscreen and try not to run midday, but accept that I am a runner first and that's what my tan lines will be.

Nicole said...

I'm right there with you on running in the morning. There's something so amazing about rolling out of bed and running while half the neighborhood is still asleep!

I love it!

Rachel said...

I do all of the same and also still get tan lines...:( I'm rockin some pretty silly looking ones right now!

Unknown said...

You know I always forget n I already have sock lines, racerback lines but surprisingly no watch line.. I'm thinking that's cause the small strap broke n I have it on the big strap which bounces up and down my arm... annoying!!

Suzy said...

I hope you can keep the tan lines away. It doesn't matter how much sunscreen I use, I always get tan.

Anonymous said...

sunscreen is so important. i always forget to put it on.

Gaspegirl said...

I have no weddings and nothing extra special that I have to go to this summer... and since this is my first summer running - I can't wait for a runner's tan :P

Make it a great daY!

Molly said...

I already have patchy tan lines, from spray sunscreen. I need to stay with the cream.

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I kind of like a runner's tan?!?!? So not healthy, but I kind of like the sports bra tan marks. HA!

Fruit Fly said...

I finally remembered to put on sunblock when I had my first sunny run of the season ... I STILL got tan lines from my shirt. That didn't take long at all!