Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Back to the Track

It may be unbearably hot outside, but this is my favorite time of year because my running club moves the workouts to the track! 

This time last year was when I first started running with my running club - amazing how the time flies and how much things have changed in a year.  It feels so great to be back at the track and starting to do some speed workouts!

Last night was the first one of the season and of course it was so hot and humid outside.  During the warm up I could already feel my stomach getting upset because of the heat.

The workout:
2x2000m at Tempo pace (~7:15 min/mile) w/ 2 min recovery
6x200m at race pace (~43 secs for each 200m) w/ 200m jog recovery



5 laps around the track went pretty quick as I finished the first 2000m with my group.  The second one was not as easy and I really had to focus to keep my pace from slipping.  After finishing the 2000s I did not want to do the 200s but a friend talked me into it.

2000m in 8:58 (7:10 pace)
2000m in 8:55 (7:06 pace)
6x200m at descending pace (49, 49, 48, 46, 45, 44, 43 secs)

Running in this heat is a whole new thing.  The humidity takes so much more out of me than normal.  Thankfully I was able to hit my paces for this workout, but it is getting harder and harder.  Today we are headed for a high in the 90s!  I sure am glad that today is a rest day!

Happy Wednesday!

13 comments:

Marlene said...

You made out better than I did! I wanted to curl up in lane 4 and never run again. lol

Great job!!

Anonymous said...

im excited to start running with my running group. i start on june 23rd.

great job on the track~

No Longer Using said...

i have never run 2000s! what is the thinking behind them in incorporating them into track work??? keep posting your workouts, i always need new ideas :) i think it would also be cool to hear what you think this particular work out is contributing to your training!!! or is all track workout kind of grouped under the same purpose of general speed?

oh and i ran yesterday late afternoon and got SO SICK from the heat. i barely made it back to my house in time if you know what i mean :( boo hiss! at least i busted out 3 awesome miles before tragically eeking out the 4th, lol.

ihaverun said...

The heat is kiler for me. Even not being able to open the window to cool down on the treadmill is making it tough for me. You are a rockstar!

Jen @ Run for Anna said...

Wow! That is a great workout in the heat. Anything above 60 degrees is really tough for me, since I usually am running before the sun comes up. :)

Laura said...

Nice job! I think we start our track workouts in July....can't wait but also a little scared as they HURT.

Aron said...

NICE job on the track workout! GAH I hate going to the track in the summer!! I need to get back out there though :)

Amber said...

I'm heading back to the track tonight too (for the first time in over a month!) and I'm really excited about it :)

Nicole said...

yay! nice job @ the track!

The Laminator said...

Yay for the track workouts!
Boo to the heat and humidity.
Enjoy your rest day :)

Unknown said...

I feel your pain! That is tough!! Good job!

Chelsea said...

Way to go! I just can't get myself motivated to run in the afternoon when it's so hot. I guess that's the power of the running group.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Nice work, J! Esp in the heat + humidity. That just zaps my energy level. It was over 100 here on Tuesday. I got up to run at 4:30 and it was 81 degrees!! I was like - are you kidding me? My pace suffered, but oh well. At least I got the run in!

Now the heat has broke and it's in the 50-60 range. our weather is so bi-polar!