Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Recipe Hoarder

So I am kind of a recipe hoarder.  If you could see my computer and open my internet you would see a TON of open web pages of recipes that I am waiting to try.  Every day I seem to find a great recipe for this or that and I just want to try them.  Once I try each recipe (and it turns out good), then I write it down into my recipe book.

I have been saving zucchini recipes for over a month in order to take advantage of the time when our garden would be over flowing with zucchini. And it seems like the time has finally come!

Post workout (mile repeats = fun) dinner last night, I had zucchini lasagna (using the zucchini as noodles) pre-made in the fridge and all ready to go in the oven.  I used my aunts recipe and it turned out really well.  Yay for leftovers for lunch!  This recipe was really good - very healthy and I felt better after eating it since there weren't any noodles.  But the lasagna was less structured without the noodles which made cutting and serving slightly difficult - but still tasted delicious.


 Zucchini (no noodle) Lasagna
2 tsp olive oil
1 lb italian sausauge, casings removed
5-6 cups marinara sauce
2 1/2 lbs zucchini (~2 zucchini)
1 cup carrots, cut up
1 egg
1 cup part skim ricotta
1/2 cup parmesan
1 cup mozzarella
1/2 cup parsley, chopped (optional)

Directions
Heat oil in a skillet. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink.  Add 4 cups of marinara and let simmer for about 7-8 minutes.

Slice zucchini length wise into long strips.  Option - Roast zucchini in the oven on broil for about 3-5 minutes each side.  ( I have never done this and it still turns out ok)  Slice carrots and set aside.

In a big bowl (or food processor) mix ricotta, parmesan, egg and optional parsley.  Set aside.

Heat oven to 350F and coat a 9x13 in pan with non stick spray.  With remaining marinara sauce, cover bottom of pan then lay zucchini slices down with carrot slices and then add in 1/3 ricotta mixture.  Add meat sauce on top and continue layering with zucchini and ricotta mixture until pan is full (~3 layers). Top with more sauce (meat sauce or extra sauce - whatever is left) and then add mozzarella on top. 

Cover pan with foil and bake in oven for 30-45 minutes (more time if you did not broil the zucchini).  Take off foil and cook 10 more minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden.  Once out of the oven, let lasagna stand for about 5 minutes before cutting - will be a bit messy but delicious!

Just to give you a little idea of how crazy and possibly out of control my "recipes to try" collection has become, here are a few more zucchini recipes.

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Stuffed Zucchini with tomato and mozzarella 
Black Bean and zucchini Quesidillas
Zucchini Lasagna (w/ noddles) 
Zucchini Pizza Bites
Zucchini Fritters
Zucchini Pancakes





Sides
Zucchini Tots
Cheesey Zucchini Rice
 Zucchini Casserole
Tomato-Zucchini Bake
Zucchini Chips OR Zucchini Fries







Dessert
Oil Free Chocolate Zucchini Walnut Muffins
Triple Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Zucchini Almond Butter Muffins
Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes









More Options
10 Ways to use zucchini 
35 Zucchini Recipes
Extra - another Zucchini muffins recipe plus more


As you can see this has kind of gotten out of control!  This is just one section of the many, many recipes I have waiting to be tested out, hoping to make the cut into my recipe book! 


15 comments:

Marlene said...

Mmm zucchini! I have always wanted to try baking with it. Hard to imagine it in a chocolate dessert!

The lasagna looks delish!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I have a hard time with zucchini lasagna, but I haven'[t tried it yet either. Zucchini bread is a favorite and I have some to use up!

Suz and Allan said...

I had no idea there were that many options for things to do with zucchini. Have you ever tried zucchini quiche?

suzy, http://countdownto13.blogspot.com/ said...

YUMM!! Thanks for posting - I have some from the garden I need to use up! :)

James said...

I'm an internet recipe hoarder too! I've got hundreds of recipes saved that I'd like to try. Your's will be included!

misszippy said...

I think recipe hoarding before a particular food is ripe is a great idea! You scored with some great recipes, too. Thanks for sharing them with us!

Allison said...

I always default to making zucchini bread. I'll have to try some of these next time! The lasagna looks great!

Kim said...

It's smart to have so many zucchini recipes! I remember our garden was overflowing with them!

We made some sort of faux lasanga thing this winter that had something else in place of noodles... squash? I just remember it was hard to cut without it spilling every where but oh so good.

This pic is making me SO HUNGRY. I am getting over a bad cold and have not eaten much for three days... I think I have my appetite back ;)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Yum, that looks delicious! I have made zucchini lasagna before and loved it. I made mama pea's recipe which has quinoa as a filler. It's SO good. I will have to make this as well.

I am a recipe hoarder too. I book mark so many recipes and never do anythign with them, but I have been better about trying new one lately - like the recipe I am posting tomorrow, which involves zucchini. :)

Anonymous said...

Love zucchini lasagna! yours looks delicious girl :)

RunningJunkie said...

Those stuffed zuchinni look awesome! I always just sautee or roasted them with seasoning! This would be a nice change!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting these recipes! I can't tell you how hard it's is to find healthy meal plans for runners. Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

Ooh!! I've made the noodle-less lasagna before! Took it to birthday party for the family and they devoured it! Kind of surprised me, since they're your typical carnivorous traditional Southern bunch.

Don't feel bad, I have a whole folder inside my iPhone devoted to nothing but recipes and various crafts that I'll never get around to doing.

Jamie said...

That lasagna looks delicious!

I'm the same way with recipes, I have so many on pinterest that I want to try!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Yes that lasagna looks amazing! Thanks for sharing all the fun and healthy recipes. I'm going to pin them for future reference!