Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Back into the routine

Over Christmas vacation I didn't run once at 5am.  I didn't set my alarm, I let myself sleep in and wake up naturally.  It was glorious and I loved it. I loved waking up and eating breakfast and then heading out mid morning for a daylight morning run. 

Last week I managed to avoid morning runs as it was a short work week and the weather cooperated.  But this week it was back to the normal routine and back to 5am morning runs.  Even though I bundle up with my spandex and long sleeve and jacket and hat and gloves, the first few steps outside are pretty cold.  It's hard to leave the warm house to go outside and run. 


This morning it was pretty chilly because there was no cloud cover - the stars and a sliver of the moon were shining bright.  I had decided to run my standard 6 mile route with a few detours to stretch it to 8 miles.  


The hardest part of winter running for me is getting out the door.  Day after day I run in the dark and cold and it can be hard to find the motivation.  But often after a long day at work, I just don't feel like running and the sun is setting and its getting dark.  And on those days I am thankful I didn't sleep in, I am thankful I got up and ran before dawn and before work. 

It may be tough, it may be cold but it is always worth it! 

3 comments:

Johann said...

I did the same and ran much later during the holidays. Difference is that I did some good heat training as it is summer here by me.

The Unlikely Runner said...

I always admire your dedication to get up and run each morning. I am a morning person but I have to be at work so early that I would have to get up at 3:30 just to go run...But I still admire your motivation each day.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Nice work on getting out there! I can do 5 am runs in the summer but i am just too much of a wimp in the winter. We are in the midst of a cold snap so I have been sticking to the dreadmill (which I hate, but is better than not running!).