Monday, January 21, 2013

Sometimes I wimp out

I really enjoy morning running but there are some mornings when I just don't think I can bring myself to run outside.  It just is too cold or the conditions are just not right.

Yesterday was one of those day and it looks like I may have started a trend for the week.

I woke up to 45mph winds!  Even though the temperature was in the high 30s, I just could not bring myself to run outside.  I decided on the treadmill instead.


The gym was pretty empty since it was mid Sunday morning and I just cruised along while watching Law and Order.  I think as long as I have a Law and Order show to watch, I could run on the treadmill for a very long time. Running and reading the captions on the TV is one of my favorite things.  Reading the captions distracts me very well so that I stop looking at the treadmill screen and focusing on how much distance I still have to run.


Sunday's run was 5.4 miles to finish out my week with even mileage.

I spent the rest of the day cleaning the house, baking blueberry muffins and watching some football.  As the day wore on, I checked the weather to see how my Monday morning run was going to go.  With predictions of 2-4 inches of snow and "feels like" temperature of 10F, I decided that I might as well hit the treadmill again.  I packed all my clothes to change at the gym for work, packed my breakfast and lunch then went to bed.

Monday morning I woke up to no snow,  but very cold temperatures.  I think I could have probably run outside this morning but since I was already packed and ready to go, I just went to the gym.  I was able to crank out 6.5 miles on the 'mill while watching another Law and Order.  I hadn't seen this episode before and I was quite intrigued by the plot.  The episode was about a killer who had three personalities and I couldn't keep my eyes off the captions because I wanted to know how they would break him!  I think over a mile went by without me looking at the treadmill screen - it was a pretty good episode.

Tuesday is supposed to be even colder than this morning with a "feels like" temp of below 0F!  I already know I have a date with the treadmill.

9 comments:

Kim said...

It's good to have access to a treadmill for days like that! I would not go out in the 45 mph winds for sure. It's been windy here too and it's just making me crazy!

Katherine said...

Wow that's some fast winds! It's nice that you can run inside :)

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I would have stayed inside too. 45 mile an hour winds are pretty miserable to run in!

Anonymous said...

And I thought we have cold temperatures. I feel spoiled with 30s! :) Good job on still getting your workout in despite the cold weather!

Johann said...

It doesn't get as cold here by us but still, running in a cold wind sucks. I always run outside but some days in winter can be so hard. I don't go to gym so if I skip a morning run outside I skip a run that day.

Unknown said...

Just reading this as I head out for a chilly morning run...-13 with a 'feels like' -18 celcius. This is about my limit and I have two layers of socks, shirts, gloves and touques. If there's one thing I hate more, it is WIND!

Robin said...

I don't mind the cold so much, but the wind is rough!

Anonymous said...

It is in the 20's all week here. A friend of mine is all "suck it up and run outside" and I just cannot jump on board. 30 and over, more likely. But I prefer 40-50!

RunningJunkie said...

It has been ridiculously windy recently!! I can take the cold but wind....not a chance.