Thursday, August 11, 2011

Finding a race

Every Tuesday night at my running club, our coach makes a few announcemnets before we start the workout-

He talks about any awesome race performances over the past weekend from members
He goes over the workouts for the 5k/10k people, half marathers and marathoners
He discusses upcoming volunteer opportunities at running club sponsered races
AND he talks about upcoming races

Tuesday night was no different, except that he mentioned a new race.  A 15k race on September 5th.

My eyes went wide with excitement that I might actually be able to jam this race into my schedule, just 5 short days from my wedding.  We ran a few warm up laps and I pondered the idea and wondered it I was even in shape to race a 15k.

I asked coach what he thought and of course he was on board with the idea since he is also running the race.  So I took my old half marathon plan from spring and revamped the final four weeks for the 15k.  Everything just came together so easily. 


The 15k distance has to be one of my favorites and I am excited to get to race it again this year since I missed out on the Boilermaker.  My coach said that this course is flat and fast so I am hoping to break my PR of 1:11 from last year's Boilermaker.  Now I just need to talk my running buddy into running it with me!!  Only 25 days to go...and 30 until the wedding!

9 comments:

Marlene said...

Sooo perfect to make up for Boilermaker and I'm sure it will be great for stress relief the weekend before your wedding. Awesome!!

teacherwoman said...

Wow! one month until your wedding. Mine is just a little over 3 months away. Yikes, I have so much to do.

A 15K sounds like a fun and different distance! You will rock it!

Nicole said...

WAHOO!!! :) I need a race to take my mind off wedding too! i cant believe your wedding is SO close! :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

FUN!! I would love to try a 15K.. And you will get in one more race before you change your name...assuming you do change your name :)

Fran said...

Holy you are fast: 15K in 1:11? To me that's very fast.

We don't have many 15K races here in Holland either. I'm doing a 10 miler in September. We have a very popular 15K in November that I haven't done yet and won't be doing this year but some year I will.

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you!! I think a race will be perfect to get out all the pre-wedding jitters! :)

kaydi327 said...

How fun! I think it's a great idea to run a 15k right before your wedding! Your wedding is so close- so exciting!

Katie @ Legally Fit

Anonymous said...

Great timing for your half schedule. A 15k will be perfect training.

Kim said...

Yay! That is awesome! New races can be really fun, and it will be something fun for you when you are all caught up with wedding details :)