Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Losing Weight

When I got engaged over a year ago, I never thought about losing weight for my wedding.  I was basically happy with my body -  of course there were a few areas that I wished were firmer and toned but I was happy with how I looked.

I have always been primarily skinny.  In high school I maintained a weight around 135-140 (I think), I didn't weight myself much because I was in three sports and eating whatever I wanted - oh to be a teen again.  The first year of college I gained 15 solid pounds of muscle as I was playing basketball full time and lifting weights.  Even with the weight gain I still felt good and happy with my body.  I didn't start to lose that weight until my fourth and fifth years of college when I ran track - but my mileage was low because I was a sprinter so I never really shed a lot of pounds - just changed my body shape.  My once basketball body slowly began to morph into more of a runners body.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year, January 2011 when I started seriously training for a half marathon.  I was running more mileage than I had ever run before (30 miles a week or more) and I started to lose weight.  The training combined with a ton of work and wedding stress, caused me to drop more than a few pounds by the time my half marathon rolled around.

And I liked how I looked; I didn't really notice the weight loss until someone at work mentioned something to me about how skinny I looked.  When I finally took a step back and looked at my body I saw that I had lost more than a few pounds.  I continued to run through the spring and into the summer, averaging many 30+ mile weeks which for me is a lot compared to before when I was barely managing 20-25 miles a week.

Last week I had a doctors appointment - my old doctor moved away so I had to go and meet my new doctor.  She was very nice and asked a few questions about my running and lifestyle and I mentioned how I had lost weight in the past 6 months.  She looked up my records from the previous year and we found this:

Last doctors appointment ~ Fall 2010, Weight = 151 pounds
New weight at Doctors, Summer 2011, Weight = 137 pounds

That is a fourteen pound drop in a year.  I was shocked. I did not think it was that much.  I knew I was skinny, I knew I could fit into my clothes from high school, but I did not know I had lost 14 pounds in over a year.  The doctor said it wasn't a major concern YET - she said that I really couldn't afford to lose any more weight because then I would be at risk for problems down the road like low calcium and osteoporosis.

A part of me worries about this weight loss hurting my body, but another part of me is liking the new me.  Its not a huge change but I have become leaner and stronger in my running.  I figure that I didn't need that extra weight - otherwise my body wouldn't have lost it.

Here are a few pictures from the past few years...

At Brian's brothers wedding - August 2008

End of fifth year of college - College track regionals, May 2009

Wedding dress shopping - January 2011
My 25th Birthday - March 2011

10k Race - June 2011

This past weekend at my second bridal shower 
My MOH and I at my bridal shower
So there has been a change in my body over the past three years.  The big drastic change has been in the last 8 months but I have slowly changed my body since I left college.  I wanted to transform more into a runner because I always felt big and bulky because that is the body I needed to play college basketball.

I think that it took the pictures from this past weekend AND my doctors appointment to finally have it sink in that I have lost weight.  I know that I am running more than ever but I think stress from the wedding has also played a role in this.  Obviously I have not mentioned much about my stress levels due to the wedding but it has been a struggle.  It has been a lot of pressure and stress put on me by my family and I have used running to deal with that stress.  Much of this has been extremely personal so I have chosen not to share the painful details because I want to forget a lot of what has happened.  Thankfully Brian and my friends have been there for me to help me to see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and it will be here soon!

The point is that - even though I have lost weight, I am happy and I am happy with my body.  You would think with all the stress I would stress eat and gain weight, but apparently it is the opposite in this case.  After the wedding, we will see what happens.

16 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

Girl you look gorgeous!!!

But that being said, coming from someone that has learned a LOT about the low calcium risks and affects, I definitely encourage you to be mindful of just how much weight you loose. Like your doc said, there's nothing to be overly worried about right now but just be mindful. I'm currently trying to figure out the right weight to get to so that I can overcome this never ending stress fracture and not risk it happening again someday.

Sending big hugs your way so your worries melt away!

Marlene said...

You really have leaned out this year! You look great and it sounds like you FEEL great - glad you are being mindful of it since being underweight can be as risky as overweight. Time to eat a bit more. :)

So sorry for the wedding stress. Ugh. Trust me, I hear you on that. Why is it that these things can bring out the worst in people? Let me just say that I have not spoken to or seen my matron of honour since my wedding... and she is my cousin. Very sad. Anyway, I hope you have the support you need and don't have too much stress putting a damper on all the FUN stuff. Focus on the happy things.

{will run for margaritas} said...

I think you look great! It's amazing how much the body can change after college. :)

Chelsea said...

Sorry you're feeling so stressed out! It's miserable to be so anxious you have no appetite. Good for you for being aware of what's going on.

Amber said...

Oh man, I'm sorry the wedding stuff has been so stressful for you :( I'm so nervous about that happening to me. So far things haven't been TOO stressful but I think that might change when the save the dates and invites go out and some people in the family realize they are NOT invited. Eep!

Anyways, I think you look really great but as Morgan said above it's important to be mindful of these things!

Glad the stress of the wedding will be behind you soon!

misszippy said...

You look great and as long as the doc isn't concerned, you shouldn't be either. If the period stops, then you worry!

kaydi327 said...

As your lifestyle has changed, I'm not surprised that you've lost weight. Though, 14 pounds is fairly significant. That being said, if the doctor isn't worried and you feel great, I wouldn't be too concerned.

At one point in law school I got so stressed that I lost 15 pounds. For me it was an issue- I was already underweight to begin and got down to about 110 with my pants falling off of me. At my height it was no bueno- I had to consciously make myself eat more and find ways to reduce the stress. Your body will let you know!

Katie @ Legally Fit

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Sorry to hear about the wedding stress. That totally sucks, but it seems to happen to a lot of brides. There are so many people who think they know what you want/need. Good luck. Just be sure that your health and weight stay in a safe range. Your health is one of the most important things for you to take care of!

Laura said...

Oof...wedding stress is the worst..I had a huge blowout with my mom and no one really even asked me what I wanted with my own wedding.
In any case....you looks seriously great!

Lisa said...

Stress can do really weird things. The week before my wedding I worked out (but no more than usual) and ate well (more than usual since I was at my parents house) but I lost a few pounds in just that week and my dress was a little loose! I was a bit shocked, but I felt great and that's what mattered. You look great (in every single one of those pics you posted) but what matters most is that you feel strong and healthy and have enough energy!

Take care!!

Elizabeth said...

As long as you make sure you are eating when you are hungry then there is nothing to worry about. I personally would avoid the scale because you dont need to be thinking about the specific number. But I think you look fantastic!!!

RunToTheFinish said...

i agree with everyone else, it's great you are happy with your body and seem to be no matter the weight!! but make sure you are getting enough because when stressed losing weight isn't bad if you are still making sure your body is getting what it needs

Unknown said...

Like everyone else said, sounds like you're doing fine. Sorry about the wedding stress :(

Rebecca said...

Hey girl! You look awesome at all your different weights. ;-) I know we always talk about food and our weight while running, but I'll tell you again that YES I have noticed significant weight loss since I met you in March... but you look great and I know you eat well, so you're probably fine! And, as everyone's already said, how you FEEL is what matters (in addition to your health of course). Now, lets get to your wedding and P.A.R.T.Y so you can enjoy the day and move forward!! 24 days!

Nicole said...

You look amazing. and ARE amazing. Please email me as i understand what your going through.

xoxo

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I am sorry to hear about the stress level surrounding wedding planning. it seems like many brides get like this and just want to be married and put it all behind them and just live with their spouse and have a normal life. Hpefully you can sustain a healthy weight from here on out. I, too, lose weight when I am stressed so I can relate. I got really skinny when I trained for my '06 marathon as i had so much stress from other things. Now I have a less stressful life so even though I run alot, my weight stays pretty even keel.

Hang in there!