Thursday, August 25, 2011

Wedding and race taper madness

I am literally going crazy over here.  I am stressed to the max; I am snapping at my best friends, I am having mini breakdowns in stores, I am second guessing myself.

This is wedding taper...the crazies set in.  This is far worse than Bride brain. Add regular taper on top and my mind is running wild!

I have learned in the last few weeks that sitting and staring at a spreadsheet does not actually get anything done. I have learned that you have to actually go out and do things. You have to make decisions and move on.  Live with the outcome - good or bad. 

I have learned that wedding planning is like marathon (or for me half marathon and 15k) training! 

Sitting on the couch staring at the training plan will not make me a faster runner, just like sitting on the couch staring at my wedding spreadsheet does not get me any closer to crossing off all my "to dos".

I have to get out there and do things! I have to get up early and run my workout and do my best.  I have to make decisions and be happy with them and NOT second guess myself.  When I put in the work and time, I know that the outcome will be the best it can be.

And the important thing for me to remember is that my wedding is a snapshot of who I am on September 10th, 2011.  My decisions were made because this is what I like right now! I don't need to think about the future or think "will I look back and think this is tacky?"  NO - this is who I am now at this point in my life and everything will reflect that.

Just like running a race - at the time of the start, I am the runner that I am.  I have trained, I have done what I can to get to that point and that race is a snapshot of the runner I am on that day, at that time.  I should not look back and think what I could have done differently.  I should not second guess my training.  I am the runner that I am.

And as the days wind down to the race and to the wedding, everything will fall into place.  I have to believe that.  I need to believe that everything will go smoothly and be wonderful.  I need to believe that I will race well and enjoy every step.  That I will enjoy every moment.

Meanwhile I am just trying to keep my head above water and not let taper madness completely take me over!

16 days!

10 comments:

Marlene said...

That is such a good analogy! And you are absolutely right that NOW is what matters. Plus, what fun is it to look back on old wedding photos and NOT find something tacky?

Hang in there, home stretch!

Molly said...

Great attitude to have, like you said, it's important to stay in the moment, and enjoy this event in your life!!!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

yay!! 16 days!!!

I was that way about 20 days before our wedding... snapping at people and worrying about stuff, but then I realized that the details didn't matter so much as the end result! :)
There were a few things that went wrong the day of the wedding but it didn't matter... it was still the best, most perfect, day of my life! :)
congratulations!! I can't wait to read all about your special day!! :)

RunToTheFinish said...

I guess I am weird, I didn't really have meltdowns about the wedding. I just figured I only get to do it once so I should have a lot of fun with the whole process... things were stressful at times but still..it's only once.

hope you can enjoy the next two weeks

Anonymous said...

I exactly know how you feel. It really helped me to just look at each task individually and not at the whole spreadsheet. Everything will get done -- and sometimes you have to delegate. I was really bad at that, but even there is one less thing you have to do, you will feel better.

Keep up the good attitude as in 17 it will be a sweet sweet memory. I am so freaking excited for you!!! :)

Nicole said...

Hang in there sweet cheeks. Remember its ALL about you and Brian. Make small goals to accomplish each day and you'll get things done. EMAIL ME! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

kaydi327 said...

Great analogy! Wedding planning can get so stressful. Especially in these final days- seating charts, out of town bags- ack! Just know that it will all get done and the wedding will be wonderful- and you guys will be married! So excited for you :)

-Katie @ Legally Fit

Chelsea said...

J, remember that you are going to be just as married and just as happy no matter what small decision you make for your wedding. I know it's hard to believe it now, but in 5 years you will neither know, remember, or care about any of the things that are stressing you out right now. You are going to be a beautiful bride and make your fiance a very happy man.

Amber said...

Hang in there!!!! You can get through these last couple weeks and your day is going to be AMAZING. XO

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I wish there was a way for people to get married and not be super stressed... I am sure it will be a wonderful day and at the end of the day, all that really matters is that you will be married to Brian. I know that is easy for me to say because I Have not put in the blood, sweat, and tears. But it will be a beautiful day, I just know it!