Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Hip and leg stretches

I have a long history of hip problems.  Not only have I suffered from weak hips but also tight hamstrings and weak glutes.  I have had knee pain that was the result of weak hips and glutes.  I wanted to share some of the stretches that I was given to do.

You can see an older post here with all my PT exercises I used to rehab back from a weak hip and knee pain in 2009.

I try to do these stretches every night while watching tv.

1. Side stretch

The key to this stretch is to stretch towards the side that hurts.  For me, my right hip was lower than my left due to a compressed muscle on the left side.  So I do this stretch towards my right side to help release that muscle and keep my hips even. 

2. Adductor stretch

Apparently I have tight hamstrings and even tigher inner hamstrings and thighs.  This stretch hurts but it really helps my legs to feel better.

3. Lying Quad stretch

Often the quads are over looked or they are stretched but it doesn't really release the muscle.  This stretch works to relax and release the quads better than any other stretch.  I often put a towel between my hamstring and calf just for added comfort.

4. Hamstring stretch

Since I don't have a partner for this stretch, I place a stretchy band around my foot to hold my leg and stretch.  Then I pull my leg up to the point that is tight, hold for 2 seconds and then release a bit.  This really helps to stretch out my hamstrings better than any other stretches I have done.


All photos and links were taken from this site.  It has a lot of great information and other stretches!


Do you stretch?  Do you think it is worth it?

17 comments:

Kiley said...

Those are the goods! I stretch...but not as much as I should. Usually only if I feel tight or sore or after my long runs. Thanks for the stretches

Anonymous said...

i never stretch. i don't think it's worth it for my running butttt i think it's good for my overall wellbeing. i feel better about myself when i'm more limber

Angie said...

I try to stretch, but I don't most of the time.. Mostly just after long runs or crazy speed work sessions. I should stretch more but I'm just so tired after working out I don't always want to!

KT80 said...

I also really like the stretch where you cross your legs and bend over - it gets at the quads in a different way.

Beth said...

After half a training season of no stretching and lots of tightness I'm back on the stretching bandwagon. Thanks for the moves!

Christine said...

Thanks for sharing, this is great information! I have the same issue and always look for stretches and strength training! :)

justme said...

i do not strecth enough and i need to !!!

Nicole said...

I dont stretch as much as i should....

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

I try to spend about 5 min after each run to get my stretch on. I'm also being more diligent about foam rolling. In the am I usually do my glute strengthening exercises (when I remember): bridge with one leg, bridge raises, side leg raises with foot flexed and a small weight on my top leg, step ups on a box/step/chair forward and sideways 15 reps each leg and forward/side.

Marlene said...

I try to do a few key stretches after each run - calf, hamstring, quad, hip.

These look like some good ones!

copy7t said...

I don't always stretch and in general I don't seem to notice any difference either way. However it seems to be of some help with my IT band issues.

Anonymous said...

I do stretch, but I don't do those. Maybe I will incorporate them. Happy belated bday!

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing these! The only one of those I do right now is the last hammie stretch. I want to try the others!

Anonymous said...

I heart stretching. My legs, especially the hips and calves, are really tight. I stretch a few times per day to help keep them loose, or else the IT band and other ailments will become very cranky!

Molly said...

I stretch every day, I totally think it's worth it. I get so tight after a few days, its a MUST!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Great post! I try to be good about stretching, but I end up stretching about 50% of the time I think? I try to foam roll a couple of time a week as my quads gets so darn tight otherwise and then i start to feel it in my knee.

Little Miss Runshine said...

Great post!! I stretch, BUT I need to stretch more!