Sunday, March 27, 2011

Monster Weekend

For the past 6 weeks my training plan has called for a long run on Saturday and then a rest day on Sunday.

This week, everything changed.  This weekend my training plan called for two long runs.  For me this was a big deal and also a first.  Definitely a monster weekend of runs.

Saturday
2 miles at Easy
2x 25 mins at half marathon pace w/ 3 min recovery
~ 20 min at Easy

I slept in Saturday morning, woke up and had coffee and oatmeal before heading out after 9am.  It was cold and windy but sunny!  The first two miles were easy and enjoyable but soon it was time to get down to business.  The first set was on a mainly flat area and I settled into a good pace.  Some parts were super windy but I continued on.  I rested for the 3 minutes and then set into the second set.  This one was harder because it had more hills and the wind was annoyingly strong.  Often I yelled out loud when the wind got to be more than I could handle! I wanted to quit so many times during this second set but thankfully had the strength to push and finish.  The final cool down easy run home was so nice.

Results
First set: 3.21 miles at 7:47 avg pace
Second set: 3.24 miles at 7:44 avg pace
Total miles = 10

After a nice shower to warm up and hot chocolate mixed with coffee, I pulled on my recovery socks and made myself a nice lunch - tomato soup and a tuna melt!  I tried to stay off my feet as much a possible in hopes that it would help me recover and be ready for the next day.


Sunday
2.5 miles at Easy
2.5 miles at Marathon Pace (don't really have a MP though...)
2.5 miles at Easy

I woke up to sun again! Although it was a cold 22F, I headed out again after coffee and oatmeal!  I wasn't sure how my legs would hold up after the 10 miles from Saturday.  I set out nice and easy and my legs actually felt good.  I planned my route to run past my wedding reception place!  I often run past it and can't wait until the wedding.  Right now it looks pretty barren but soon the snow will melt and the grass will grow and become green.


Results
2.5 miles at 7:50 avg pace
Total miles = 7.5

After this run, I once again pulled on my recovery sleeves.  I was so surprised that I didn't feel completely worn out from all the miles.  It was definitely a big confidence booster that I was able to run 17.5 miles in one weekend and hit all my planned paces.

Monster weekend completed!

10 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Nice work! That's awesome that you ran so many miles and didn't 'feel' the miles. That just goes to show how in shape and ready your body is for this!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy said...

Whew! Saturday's workout sounds like a toughie for sure! Good work.

Badgergirl said...

Nice job tackling that monster weekend!

Nicole said...

Nice job on all the running especially nailing your paces! ROCKSTAR

Laura said...

Two days of running in a row is super impressive - good job.

Amy said...

Great job on two great runs! Still cold, but isn't it nice to run with a blue sky?

Unknown said...

Great work!

Marlene said...

Big runs!!! Way to go on the double long run, and excellent work on the pacing!!

Christine said...

Great work out and for sure a confidence booster, which is so important for the race! Sometimes I think the mental is even more important than the physical strength!! You will rock the half marathon!!

Beth said...

Nice training weekend! That Saturday workout looks TOUGH!!