Friday, November 7, 2008

I have a new running idol

Last night after an easy workout, I made toasted cheese and tomato soup and sat down on the couch to catch up on all the TV that I have missed this week. I finally was able to watch the recap of the NYC Marathon - I had goosebumps through the whole thing. Of course I knew that Paula Radcliffe was going to win but I didn't know about the American runner, Kara Goucher.

I think I remember hearing something about her at the Olympics but I never saw her run until last night. I was amazed that she had never run a marathon before and managed to place third at NYC which is the first podium finish for an American woman since 1994! She is now my new favorite runner!


Yesterday's easy run has left me feeling ready for time trails today at practice. Apparently I cannot run a 400m - my choices are:

1. 600m and 300m
2. 300m and 150m
or some other combination of those

So which ones should I run?? I feel like the 300m is a good choice but I am not sure about a 600m. I have really never run these distances so I am not sure what to expect - Any suggestions are welcome!!

Happy Friday!

14 comments:

No Longer Using said...

Go for the 600 + 300! You said you wanted to work on increasing distances and this will force you to. Here's a great article on Kara!!! I was sooooo excited :) http://www.newsday.com/sports/other/wire/sns-ap-ath-nyc-marathon-goucher,0,520196.story

talk about just running your heart out.

Unknown said...

I like #2. I like shorter intervals. I hate long intervals, which is probably hurting me, but...

Kara Goucher is freaking awesome!

Marcy said...

I'm with GOT. The longer ones KILL me LMAO!

Brad Braden said...

She has been doing very well and even more so to place that well in her first marathon..

Just came across your blog, I look forward to reading more.

cheers.

Unknown said...

I would vote for the 600 and 300. Just to increase the distance like you had mentioned earlier.

tfh said...

Good luck with the time trials. Go with your instinct. I admire Kara Goucher so much, too. I think RW had a good article about the Gouchers some time back. So, does this mean one day you'll consider testing yourself in the marathon? ;)

Felice Devine said...

Wasn't Kara great? I was so impressed. In fact, I was giddy watching the marathon. Giddy.

Anonymous said...

That was impressive indeed! 6 and 3 all the way!

N.D. said...

Good luck on the repeats! Kara is my #2 - she's around my age and I think she's so smooth! I like reading about her. The tomato soup and grilled cheese sounds perfect- I love them when its cold out! Have a good weekend!

Anonymous said...

Kara Goucher did run an amazing race. It is crazy how some people are just born to be gret runners. Placing 3rd in your first marathon!

Marlene said...

That's amazing!!!

I'm a track virgin so no advice here. Good luck!

Marci said...

I love grilled cheese and tomato soup! I would mix up the workout. Have a great weekend!

Julianne said...

I love Kara, too!! She is such an inspiration. :-)

I vote for the 600m + 300m! Sounds tougher!

Aron said...

kara is so awesome :)

good luck deciding your races!