Thursday, November 13, 2008

TIART: Running Green

This week at Runner's Lounge the theme for Take it and Run Thursday is Running Green.

For my contribution this week I would like to focus on how my mom is running/walking green. As a few of you may remember my mom used to be a runner before she had me. She grew up in the time before Title IV when there weren't many sports options for women. She was able to participate in archery and badminton and then found running after she married my dad.

Now she just walks (usually about 3-4 miles a day) and she carries a plastic grocery bag to pick up cans. Last year she collected over 70 dollars worth of cans and eventually bought herself a new pair of walking shoes. How about that!! Pretty amazing!

So here is to my mom - a great, inspiring woman who has taught me to recycle! I wouldn't be who I am today without her!!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

If it helps I have never lost a toe nail. I think it has a lot to do with making sure you're wearing the right shoes and knowing when to take your rest days.

Nicole said...

Thats AWESOME! Your mom sounds so sweet! Thats a really cool idea about getting new shoes with her can money! Such a sweet story!

tfh said...

That's so cool-- although it is a little sad that enough people litter that she was able to collect $70 worth of cans!

No Longer Using said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!!! way to gooo! did your mom run races, too? she sounds like a confident and innovative woman, i love hearing about people like her they are so inspiring just by being themselves.

GroundedFitness said...

that so cool! what a good idea!

Kelly Turner
www.groundedfitness.com

Felice Devine said...

Way to go, mom! That's a great thing to do on a walk.

Laura said...

Seven states down - #8 coming up this weekend :)

N.D. said...

That is awesome! What a great idea! hats off to your runner mama!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story! I love the way it goes full circle with your mom buying new shoes.