Thursday, November 6, 2008

TIART: Transitions

This weeks theme at Runners Lounge is Running Through Transitions.

Now that I sit down and think about it, I have more transitions in my life than I initially realized.

First - the biggest transition - in two weeks my specified time for working at this company will be over and I will head back to school for my final classes on December 1st. I have 5 classes left to take before I graduate in May 2009 and with a full time position already accepted I am going to have to work hard to stay focused and get good grades!!

My body has also started to show some changes - I am losing my "basketball body" and turning into a sprinter. I am learning how to run faster and more efficiently and also how to compete in a relay. The hand off (transition) with the baton from one runner to the next can be the most important part! On that note - Friday we are doing another time trial at Track!

--------

At yesterday's track workout something just seemed to click - My coach has been talking about working on pulling my legs up while sprinting. A lot of runners tend to hit their butt with their feet when they run but that will slow you down. We ran 7x200m repeats and about halfway through I focused on pulling my legs and it worked. I maintained an even pace for the last few - about 34-36 seconds for each 200m run and although I was breathing hard at the end of each sprint I wasn't totally spent which means I am running more efficiently and increasing my endurance.

Today Abby and I are going to go for a slow 2.5 mile run as we want to be rested for the time trials Friday. When I first ran the 400m back on October 11th I ran it in 71 seconds and it was FREEZING out!! Expected temps on Friday at 4pm =65 degrees!!

Also I got some comments asking how I find the time to read??! Well since I am not taking classes I have no homework so I have a lot more free time. Usually while taking classes I spend a good 5-6 hours on homework a night because otherwise I would never be able to get my work done. Anyway - Have a good Thursday!!

12 comments:

Nicole said...

Thats awesome that you'll graduate in may with a full time job already! How exciting! I love reading about your track workouts and comparing them to how much better of a work out you get than what i got in high school! Keep up the great work!!!

Anonymous said...

Five more classes and a job lined up, that is awesome. Your track workouts are great. Keep working hard.

Marcy said...

Wow chica! That's so awesome that you've got graduation and then a job nicely lined up. Sweetness!

Marlene said...

Sounds like you have lots of good things ahead - congrats!

And holy moly, you are fast! :D

No Longer Using said...

Hi! I love hearing your workouts. It reeeeeeeeally makes me miss being on a team!!!! Love that structure and support :)

tfh said...

Ooh-- sounds like a good tip from your coach. I can't imagine beating 71 secs in the 400 BUT it sounds like you have it in you for this next time trial. Good luck!

Julianne said...

This is a serious rite of passage and a huge transition!!! Wow!

Steve Stenzel said...

Running through transitions: like when I grow a coat of winter fur? Cause I'm starting that right now...

;)

Aron said...

those are definitely BIG transitions.. the one from college to the "real world" is an exciting one but also challenging... you are already many steps ahead though!!

Chic Runner said...

Brrrr stay warm, and seriously, congrats on the job once you are done with school! That was a big transition for me that happened not to long ago!

N.D. said...

You have alot going on at once!! Good thing running is there! Nice workout!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

So many great goals in site - good for you for juggling all of it.