Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Better Life 5k Race Report

Brian and I ran this race last year too - Click here for the race report!

With just two weeks to go to the half marathon, I wasn't really excited about racing a 5k.  My legs were tired and cranky from weeks of high mileage and entering taper but I knew this was Brian's favorite race so decided to sign up with him.

Brian loves this race because it is on a golf course, plan and simple.  That is pretty much the only reason he wants to run it every year.  The course is challenging and hilly and not exactly a PR course.

I originally hadn't planned on racing, just running the 5k at tempo pace and seeing how I felt.  Once the race started that plan flew right out the window.  I began to judge the other women around me and started to feel more and more confident that I could take the lead and hold it.  So after the first mile I slowly started to pull away from the other women and increase my lead.

Leading the race was amazing and I felt great the whole time.  I just could not believe it was happening and that I was running a very consistently paced race.  With about a quarter mile to go, I finally looked behind me and saw that no women were in sight so I slowed down a bit.  I knew I had won and I thought that was enough for the day.  I will just have to wait for my next 5k to PR.
 
And now some race photos!








Official Time: 21:49
Overall: 7/102

14 comments:

Indi said...

Great pictures!! Looks like a nice morning for a race :) congrats again!!

Zaneta @ Runner's Luck said...

great race!! and awesome pictures!! super speedy! :)

Marlene said...

AWESOME! I hope I know how that feels one of these days. I actually finished first female at a 5K a couple yeard ago (super small race, nobody fast showed up - haha) but I didn't even know til the awards! haha, duhhh.

Awesome photos - you look so FAST!

Running Librarian said...

Way to go! Maybe the golf course is your race too :)

Tricia said...

great job!

Nicole said...

I won a 5k once too! it was the first year it was open and i didnt know until the end when they said first female! WOOT! LOL :)

great job gf!!! :)

Linda said...

omgsh you look great! congrats!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Nice work - congrats! I know a 5k is totally different from a 1/2, but i bet this still boosts your confidence for race day!

And dang, you are speedy!

The Laminator said...

That's so amazing! Congrats to you! What does it feel like to lead a race? Haha! Awesome, just awesome!

Felice Devine said...

Excellent, totally excellent. Way to go!

Being Robinson said...

that's fantastic, congrats!

d.a.r. said...

Way to go lady!

Kim said...

WOW! That is so cool that you won for women! And with a really fast time. Congrats!

Fruit Fly said...

Great pictures! I'm glad you threw your plan out the window and just went for it!