Monday, April 18, 2011

Half Marathon - Week 10

Monday - Off

Another Monday off and it felt great after a weekend of tough runs.

Tuesday - Tempo
8.17 miles/1:04:31/7:54 pace

The plan was for 3x 2mi at tempo with negative splits and I was nervous about that because it sounded tough.  I went to running group and we started out and the pace felt great.  After the second set, our coach pulled us back and told us only to run a mile instead of the last 2 miler.  The reason he did this was because the tempo workout mileage should only account for 10% of the weekly mileage.  Obviously I was already over that 10% (weekly mileage = 37mi, 10% = 3.7 miles for tempo workout) but only by a little bit so it was better to pull it back and stick around 13.5% of my weekly mileage.

Wednesday - Easy
3 miles/26:56/ 8:59 pace

Well when I woke up it was POURING out, so I knew that a morning workout was out of the question. Next idea was to pack a bag and run at lunch.  Thankfully the rain had stopped by noon so I headed out for a run.
Just finished the run!
Cleaned up and back to work!

 Thursday - Another tempo run
7.7 miles/1:05:37/8:32 pace

Due to plans after work, I could not go to running group and run this workout.  I haven't run in the morning in a LONG time but that was the only time I could get this workout done.  I was up and out the door by 5:10am and it was DARK!  I forgot my headlamp which made it even darker! 

3 miles at easy + 20 mins at tempo + 2 miles at easy

My legs did NOT want to wake up and my easy pace was a little slower than usual.  When it came time to start the tempo, I had a lot of trouble trying to hit 7:30 pace.  I was able to average a 7:37 pace which I was happy with, I just forgot how hard it can be to run fast when its a cold early morning!

Friday - Off


Saturday - Long
10 miles/1:22:30/8:15 pace

April showers seem to be in full force because we got hit hard Saturday morning with pouring rain and wind.  I thought I was going to join my friend for part of her long run but decided that it was not going to happen.  I headed to the gym with Brian and hopped on a treadmill.

2 miles at easy + 6 miles at HMP (7:50 pace) + 2 miles at easy = 10 miles

After weeks and weeks of running outside, running on the treadmill for 10 miles was painful and boring.  I was just glad to get the workout done and get the miles in.

Sunday - Easy/Race!
4 miles/30:59/7:45 pace

 I happen to run a little 5k race and take first female!!  Brian also was first in his age group!!  Race report still to come!



Total week 10 mileage: 33 mi

7 comments:

Linda said...

I remember the first time I ran during my work day. It made me feel amazingly powerful. Been reading your blog, but not commenting much. Your half mary will be great!

Marlene said...

Great job on both tempos and ALL your runs this week, especially the 5K which you so casually WON!

Felice Devine said...

Um, AWESOME that you won the race! How cool!

Great week.

Nicole said...

wahoo! way to go on winning the 5k and kicking serious butt week 10!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Congrats on winning the race - that is AWESOME. And congrats to Brian for winning his age group. You are one speedy couple! :)

The Turtle said...

Congrats on a great week of running and a race victory!