Monday, June 22, 2009

5k Race Report and the Weekend

Last Thursday afternoon Brian (also known as B-Rabbit) and I drove over to the St. Greg's Church and registered for the 5k race. The race started at 7pm on Friday night and this is just one of many night time races offered around the area. All the races in my hometown are usually Saturday mornings so this was a nice change.

Around 5:30pm Friday we headed over to the race start and got our timing chips. It was super hot and humid out and I remembered why I love morning running! There were a lot of people at this race and I recognized a few people.

Brian and I did a little warm up and just waited for the race to start. I wish I had started closer to the front because once we started running, I had trouble getting around people who were running slower.

The course was pretty flat except for the last 3/4 mile. I started out well, I didn't want to go out too fast like I usually do.

Mile 1: approx 7:00 minutes
We were running through a nice neighborhood, people were outside their houses cheering and spraying us with hoses!

Mile 2: just under 14:00 minutes
So I had maintained a 7 m/m average for 2 miles and I was feeling ok. There was an older woman in front of me and I was focused on just staying with her. I ended up losing her in the final 0.1.

Mile 3 + 0.1: 8:18 minutes
I was dying on this last part. There was a slight uphill for most of this part of the race and I was just trying to get my legs to move faster!

Final chip time = 22:18 (7:12 avg)
Overall it was a great race, the actual results haven't been posted and I am not sure if they will be at all, but I did get to see the posted results right after the race and it turns out that I came in 3rd for my age group (20-24) so I got a little medal!

The food after the race was pretty good, with powerade, bananas. oranges and cool Nature's Valley granola bars! When we got home, Brian and I made mac and cheese because I was really craving it! It was the perfect post race meal!

Brian also ran the race in a time of 25:something (he forgot the actual time) This was his first running race and 5k race and I think he enjoyed it somewhat!!

After the race...This is the only photo that Brian took that isn't blurry : (

Brian and I

Saturday I was going to get up and run my 8 miler but it didn't happen. It was raining and my legs were tired so I put it off until Sunday.

Sunday dawned hot and humid and I was dripping with sweat just 2 short miles into my 8 mile long run. I made sure to go slow and I felt strong the whole time. I ran a VERY hilly route but I got it done in a decent time. Afterward, I went with my family to see my cousin compete in skeet shooting. She is really good and will probably be going to Junior Olympics in Colorado later in July!

Run details = 8.0 miles in 1:08:26 (8:34 avg pace)

This morning I had a easy 3 miles on the schedule and I went with Brian's mom to the gym. I hoped on the treadmill and just took it really slow. Its been a while since I have run on the treadmill and it was tough getting back into the groove!

Thats all for me! Thanks for reading and have a happy Monday!

27 comments:

Amy said...

Congrats on winning a medal! Sounds like a hot race, but you did great :)
And you look great, too, in the post-race photo, haha! I always look like a hot mess.

Of your last post, I LOOOVE those Nike tempo shorts! Seriously, they are all I wear. I need to get some bright orange ones, too, to match this shirt I just bought! :)

Also, I recommend Nike Pro sports bras. Or Nike LiveStrong sports bras. They have good support with a wide band at the bottom, which I like.

J.J. said...

Congrats on the great time and medal!!!!!

Amy said...

Wow! Great job!!!! You killed that race... even with the night. Nicely done.

Cute pics, too!

MOMMY-MOMO said...

i need to find some 5k races in my area. thats my favorite distance to run!

Felice Devine said...

Way to go, speedy! Congrats on the great race :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah for an AG win!

Anonymous said...

Yeah for an AG win!

Marlene said...

Smokin' fast 5K! Congrats!!! Awesome that you placed in your AG and got a medal too. And congrats to B on his first race!

Nice job on the 8-miler the next day. You're doing great!

No Longer Using said...

NIIIICE! that is so great you both ran th is. his first one ever?! nice! i bet you are an inspiration:) and you did GREAT! 14 for the first two miles is super solid and even tho that last mile was hard you stuck it out. i bet the next one you do you will finish even stronger! i think racing is a big factor in getting faster!!! and 8 miles already!!! you are ready for your next half marathon :)

X-Country2 said...

That's a VERY speedy race! Congrats on your medal. Hang that some place with pride. :o)

Nicole said...

Great job! Sounds like you rocked that 5k girl!!!! :) YAY!

Brian said...

Congrats on a great 5K! Keep running in the heat and you'll be super fast in the fall. At least that's what I keep telling myself...

The Laminator said...

Congrats on your awesome race! I'm happy for you that you got an award for your efforts too. That's really cool.

It's really smart to take it slow on your recovery days. I think you've been really training well recently. Very inspiring to see.

Keep up the great work!

Being Robinson said...

that is awesome, great job. what a speedy race! and placing too, i bet that felt great! total rockstar. :)

Danica said...

Congrats! that is a great race and I think it's right around my PR too! :) hooray, and that pic of you and brabbit is so cute! :) hooray

Heather C said...

CONGRATS on a VERY fast 5K!!! And, wow, it's not easy to bust out those long runs in the heat/humidity. This summer running stuff is rough, way to get out there and GO :)

Anonymous said...

Nice job! Awesome time on the 5k. Sounds like you are getting back in the groove.

Tim Wilson said...

Great job and great time on the 5k! Nice first couple of miles!

tfh said...

Congrats on the great time and place! And hopefully Brian will be inspired to run more races with you!

Ms. V. said...

Great job!!

Aron said...

congrats girl!! awesome job on the race and the 8 miler!

Jeri said...

Way to go! Nice time and way to get a medal. That's awesome. And I'm jealous that you're not red faced post-race. Haha.

carpeviam said...

Great race time! Congrats!

N.D. said...

sounds like a great race- good job!!!

I Run for Fun said...

Congratulations on the race and the medal!!! Great pics.

Jamie said...

you were smokin'! way to go girl! and nice job on the 8 afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "5k Race Report and the Weekend" to our Directory of Sports. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Sportstrove.info Team

http://www.sportstrove.info