Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Track workout, LW, and A new idea

B-Rabbit drove me to the track at his old high school this morning. I ran 8x400m and it was a killer. There was hurricane winds and my legs felt like they were going to fall off with each step. Today was my 5th day in a row of working out which explains a lot. Tomorrow I will do some cross-training to give my legs a rest.

It is Wednesday (literary Wednesday) and that means I am supposed to recommend a book to you. When I go on vacation I have a hard time picking one book to take with me. Thoughts will race through my head - What if I don't like this one book? What if the back cover is lying and it is actually not as good as The New York Times says it is??

So before heading off to vacation in Florida, I borrowed a total of 5 books. Last night I just started reading Airframe by Michael Crichton. I can't really say its good, but its much better than the one I started earlier in the day that was just putting me to sleep! Its tough finding a good book these days! So really I have no scoop on a outrageously good book to read, maybe next week!

On to my dilemma or should I say new plan/idea:

While furniture shopping yesterday, the salesman asked me if I was a runner. I replied yes, thinking that I must really look like a runner now, but in fact he heard me mention to B-Rabbit that I wanted to go to the track this morning for my workout. Well he told me about a 5k race that was being held nearby this Friday night. The wheels in my head began to turn as I contemplated if this was a good idea.

Well I could run this 5k Friday night, it might be fun, its a flat course....hmmmm.

The only thing is that I need to get my long run in (8 miles this week) and that leaves only Saturday or Sunday. Saturday morning might be tough because it will be about 12 hours after the race. I really would like to do this 5k on Friday but the long run needs to be worked out. I would run this 5k on Friday instead of the one on Sunday. So once again I need your advice.

Happy Wednesday!

16 comments:

Marlene said...

So, would this be INSTEAD of the 5K on Sunday? If so, can you do your long run on Sunday?

Anonymous said...

You can always tack on some extra mileage either before the 5k or after.

Felice Devine said...

I don't know about doing a 5k on Fri and Sun. But, if you do the 5k on Fri, you should be OK w/the 8 on Sun. Or, you could race the 5k on Friday and just run the 5k on Sunday, tacking on an extra 5 miles afterward to make your long run.

I Run for Fun said...

I would do the 8-miler on Sunday. If you want to really race the 5K, see how you feel on Sunday before attempting a long run.

I know about the dilemma of picking books for a vacation. I always end up with an extra bag with just books.

teacherwoman said...

I was going to agree with Marlene. Just move your long run to Sunday?!

tfh said...

Evening runs can be a lot of fun! I think you should be fine doing 8 miles on Saturday morning, as long as you're adequately rested before the 5k.

Aron said...

ohhh sounds fun!! you could either just add a few slower miles onto the end of the 5k (or as a warmup) or just do your long run sunday?

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Looks like you have enough advice so I will say GOOD LUCK! And anxiously await your choice either way.

FYI I ran a training 5 miler at 5K pace a few days before a 22 miler and I felt great.

Brian said...

I think racing the 5K Friday night, taking Saturday off and then doing 8 miles on Sunday morning probably works out better than doing the 5K on Sunday and trying to get the 8 miler in before that. That way, you'll be fairly fresh for the 5K and the long run.

Heather C said...

I'd say do the Friday night one - it's not often you get a race at night :) sounds fun!

Nicole said...

I say do the 5k friday and your long run sunday! :) but thats just me haha

Natalie D said...

Hm, friday does sound less interfering than Sunday.

Jamie said...

move the long run to Sunday and run the 5k friday. It would be fun to run a night race!

X-Country2 said...

I'd move the long run and do the 5k. New races with a different twist sound like fun. Good luck!

Melanie said...

There's a night 5K on a Friday where I live each August and I LOVE it (and I normally don't run 5Ks). I'm almost always in marathon training when it happens, so I either run it Friday and just run slower in my Saturday long run or I push the long run to Sunday.

EndorphinBuzz said...

If you like mad max type futuristic books, try Market Forces by Richard Morgan. I couldn't put it down.