Monday, June 15, 2009

Back to Reality

I am back from Florida, back to the normal temperatures and humidity of the north!

I ran pretty much everyday except Friday; getting up at 6:30 and heading out into 75 degree weather with 95% humidity. And I was actually getting used to it...even though when I finished the run I looked like I had taken a shower. The hardest workout had to be doing an 800m interval workout in the road! I didn't see a single track while I was down there so I had to use the road. The hot weather was good practice for the Boilermaker 15k which is pretty much the hottest race I run every year.

In other news, I am still logging my food intake and trying to keep my carb consumption low. I am working on a post with details about this whole eating experience!

I am looking for some advice. There is a local 5k this coming Sunday, I have never run it but it looks like a pretty good, flat course. I am interested to see how fast I can run a 5k right now, but Saturday is supposed to be my long run day. Should I switch up my long run and run the 5k?? Let me know your thoughts!

Happy Monday y'all! ( I may have picked up a slight southern drawl!)

17 comments:

MOMMY-MOMO said...

I'm attempting the exact same diet! please do share :)

Marlene said...

Do you have the flexibility in your schedule to move your long run? I would be tempted to go for the 5K!

Anonymous said...

I would do the 5k. You can always tack on a few more miles after the race or if you can move your long run to Sunday.

Jamie said...

I would run the 5K and either run the miles needed later in the day, 2 days before the race or the day after.

tfh said...

I love the new picture of you to the left. :) As for the 5k, run it! You'll be speedy and in my opinion a long run feels really good the day after a 5k-- it's like, "ahhh I'm running soooo slowly."

X-Country2 said...

I vote you do the 5k so long as you don't mind switching up your schedule a bit. Good luck!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Not sure what distance you have on your schedule but I did a 1/2 Marathon on my long run day when I was supposed to do 16 miles. I really think that the exertion of the race made up for the 3 miles I lost. I would do the race and if you feel like it walk or run the additional miles. But if you give it your all in the 5K I would call it good..

Nicole said...

Welcome back to land of the North. ha ha ha!

You could race the 5k then run/walk the rest of the miles for your long run?? Thats what i would do!

Glad you had fun. Cute pic of you and the BF too! :) :)

Natalie D said...

sure do the 5k as speed work and switch days w/ your long run! Humidity has really sucked lately!

Natalie D said...

sure do the 5k as speed work and switch days w/ your long run! Humidity has really sucked lately!

Being Robinson said...

yeah do the 5K and maybe just switch to your long run on sunday, just for this week! you will prolly destroy that 5k!

Brian said...

I agree with Natalie. If you've got speedwork scheduled in the middle of the week, run your long run that day and do the 5K instead of the speedwork. If the long run is your only "quality" day, then do the 5K instead of the long run.

Jeri said...

I would do the 5k and find a way to rearrange either by tacking on the miles or swapping out a tempo run day! Good luck!

Heather C said...

Welcome back! Sorry I've been so slow to respond with the emails, these few weeks have been all over the place! I'm looking forward to your post on the carb-stuff though :)

Do the 5K! I signed up for one this weekend too, just out of curiousity - what is my short race pace?! I have no idea; so I'm finding out. :) You'll probably still feel strong for the long run on Sunday if you spend the afternoon resting.

keep us posted!

Amber said...

I say do the 5k and either switch your long run around or run more after the 5k?? :-)

Great blog btw!!

Amy said...

I would want to do the 5K! Summer 5Ks are so fun. You could actually do it as part of your long run, if you wanted. Like just make it a fun run and then continue running before/after. Idk, just a thought! :)

Glenn Jones said...

It shouldn't be a problem moving your long run to Sunday. That's what I did this past weekend. The real trick is Monday. Normally you want to follow a long run with either rest, or preferably an easy recovery day.

And thanks for your feedback yesterday J! Some things about marathons just are not fun, but I feel like I have a score to settle. I have 4 weeks on my current plan before I need to make a decision....