Monday, June 1, 2009

First Day of June

Its a new month!! One step closer to summer...the funny part is that the weather hasn't been feeling like summer here at all! It was barely 60 degrees and cold yesterday and today it isn't much better.

So I am headed to Florida on Saturday and I have been checking the weather down there. It looks like its going to be high 80s or 90s for most of my trip. I guess I will be getting up super early to make sure I get my runs in before it gets hot. Anyone live down there? If I ran at 6 or 7am will I survive?? Will I even be able to get up that early on vacation!!??

Over the weekend (Saturday) I completed my first long run. 6 whole miles! I went slow because my legs were still tired from the 3.5 mile race on Thursday and the 800m repeats at the track Friday (not a good choice 12 hours after a race!). Currently I am living at my parents house and there are a ton of hills! It seems like no matter which way I go I am always running up a hill for the majority of the run!!

I took Sunday off from running and this morning I ran 3.7 miles. Those miles once again were tough. Not sure what happened but I got through them. With about a mile left I finally felt good. Maybe it was because I waited over an hour after I got up to start the run this morning and I didn't have anything to eat before I left!

See the thing is that I am trying something new over here with my eating habits. Its very personalized and I am trying to figure out what works best for me. Basically I am trying to eat more protein and cut back on the carbs. I use TheDailyPlate.com and I have been tracking everything I eat. Previously I was consuming a minimum of 400 grams of carbs a day. Now I am trying to cut way back and see how it affects me and my running. Today is my fourth day on this eating plan and I am still experimenting. After a week I think I will evaluate my progress and the pros and cons of eating less carbs!

That is all I got for today! Congrats to all the SD marathoners out there! You all did fabulous!!

Happy Monday!

14 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I want the 60 degree weather back. 90's I would melt!! Good luck running on your vacation..

Kim said...

I love getting up early on vacation. It makes me feel like I have more time there! Enjoy your trip.

Nicole said...

Its freeezing in MI too! I'm ready for 90s! Have fun on your vacation! SOOO jealous!

The Laminator said...

The weather plays tricks on the body sometimes. I find it's hard to gauge your effort when running in different weather patterns. Either way, it looks like you're battling the hills and feeling comfortable with the longer distances, which is good. Have fun in Florida!

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoy your vacation! Hope the new eating plan works for you. You'll have to keep us updated.

No Longer Using said...

wow that's some dedication to track everything on daily plate! i have tried those online things but my max out has been 2-3 days. not sure why i can't stick with those! i'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the eating plan!!!! good luck with that!!!! and hooray a new month :) do you have any road races this summer you want to do?

Marlene said...

You logged some great runs last week! I imagine it will be an adjustment transitioning from college track to good old road running.

Good luck with your new eating plan and tracking. I'm such a carb fiend, I don't know if I could do it!

X-Country2 said...

Cutting back on carbs = crabby Niki. Seriously, it's worse than PMS. :o)

Keep us updated how it goes for you. I'm super interested to read when it works.

Brian said...

You should be okay getting out between 6 and 7. Whether you can get up that early on vacation is another question entirely. I've been getting out at about 8 am in the mornings and I've survived (but I guess living in Florida makes me more heat acclimated). It'll be humid no matter what time you go.

Lauren @ mostly i run said...

I just discovered The Daily Plate a few weeks ago and I'm really liking it. While I am trying to focus a bit more on protein, I'm mostly concerned about eating enough (and not too much!) to balance out all of my training!

Christine said...

Let me know how the carb thing goes!! I've been trying to cut back as well..however I think theres too much stress in my life to get serious about cutting them out of my diet..haha

Jamie said...

It's been cool here too. I'm ready for some warmer temps! You had some great running happening this past week. Congrats on your first long run!

Heather C said...

So random! I went to FL right after my graduation last year too. Tried to run in the a.m. but I was outttt of shape and it kicked my ass.

If you can get up early, it definitely helps! But it's more of the Humidity factor.

I'll get back to your e-mail soon, today got crazy busy and tmrw looks like the same! I'm interested though... :) I've never thought about the diet of a track runner, wow!

yayyy JUNE! so happy it's summer

Aron said...

I want our cooler temps back!

I have heard great things about the daily plate. I signed up a while ago but havent been tracking but I might start to make sure I am getting enough protein, etc. especially during training.