Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A better day

Well today I am doing better - thanks for all the well wishes. I skipped class this morning and went to the health center on campus. The doctor was very nice and thought that I have a gastro-intestinal virus which has been going around. Thankfully my symptoms have been minor but I have to make sure to avoid as much dairy and fat as possible for the next few days when the virus will hopefully work its way out of my system.

She (aka the doctor) wants to keep me out of practice until Thursday but I stopped by my coaches office after my appointment and he said to see how I feel. I did run yesterday and felt fine so I think I will be good to go today as long as I don't push too much!

Yesterdays workout:
7x200m warm up
6x200m intervals @ 65% with 200m jog recovery after each
then 5x200m cool down

I went in the ice bath for 17 minutes yesterday and my legs are feeling good. My arms/abs on the other hand are not feeling too good. I did 50 push ups yesterday and now I am so sore from them!!!

Now I am just lounging around and resting!

************************

My track meet this weekend (besides the part where I felt sick) actually went well.

I ran the hurdles faster than before (10.39 seconds) threw shot decently, and then high jumped! For high jump I attempted 4' 8 3/4" and didn't clear the bar but I am happy that I got that far since I am a little rusty!

My head coach was amazing in helping me with high jump. A little background - My coach tried to get me to come out for track my freshman year but due to issues with the basketball coach I didn't run track until spring of my 4th year in college. Basically my basketball coach told me that if I did track I wouldn't start on the basketball team (obviously not the best coach - but I took care of that). Anyway my track coach this weekend kept relating high jump to basketball which was awesome and it worked so well for me! He made me do the motion for a lay-up and then he said ok great now do that when you jump! I just love having a coach who actually knows how to coach and knows how to get me to reach my full potential!

15 comments:

No Longer Using said...

awww what a great coach!!!!!! i love good fit relationships like this.

Felice Devine said...

Glad you are feeling better. Sorry about the arms -- but that's what 50 push ups will do to you!

Coach sounds great :-)

tfh said...

Nice job on the high jump! With a coach like that you will only improve, right?

Good luck with the workout. You're tough, working out through the virus!

N.D. said...

Glad you are feeling better! I always find when I am sick (unless dying) that working out helps it go away quicker!!

Julianne said...

So hard to find a great coach and sounds like you got one. Wow, you still did great with your illness??!!! Great job J! I'm glad you went to go see a doctor!

Lily on the Road said...

Glad you are feeling so much better, that is a nasty bug that is circulating here too!

Wow, what an interesting take on the jump shot. Hope it works with your high jump & hurdles...

Jocelyn said...

Glad you are feeling better. Good job at your meet! You go girl

Marlene said...

Definitely sounds like you have a great coach.

17 minutes in the ice?? eek! must be good for the legs, though.

Anonymous said...

Glad things went well this weekend. Hope you are feeling better. I think you have the right attitude, don't push too hard until you are 100%.

Nicole said...

I'm glad your feeling better. Great job high jumping. My friend did that in HS and one day she wanted me to try it. Needless to say, i could NOT clear the bar and ended up bouncing off the mat and landing on my butt! SO FUNNY!

Unknown said...

Awesome job working out through the sickness. Glad you have a great coach.

X-Country2 said...

Sounds like another great meet. Hurdles, shot, AND high jump? Rock star!

Get well soon.

The Laminator said...

Sounds like you had another great workout. Good to hear you're feeling better.

littlesack said...

glad the meet went well. I always thought that the funniest thing about college sports is that people not in the sports world expect you to sit out of practice when you aren't feeling well. But to you, your coach, and your teammates, you basically need to have a broken limb or be throwing up constantly to not participate.

just weird...

Aron said...

glad you are feeling better!!