Friday, January 2, 2009

Winter Running = No Fun

The original plan for today was to head to my indoor track at college and do some nice, warm intervals BUT of course the track isn't open until 5pm tonight! I don't know who makes the silly schedule but that is retarded!

The scheduled workout for today was 800m warm up with 4x350m at 90% then 800m cool down.

I ran about 0.75 miles over to a flat portion of the road near my house. I had mapped out the exact distance of 350 meters (which is 0.217 miles) BUT the wind had blown snow all over the road so there was no way I was going to be able to sprint on that part. I had to back track a bit and wasn't really sure if I was running the correct distance. (turns out it was 0.2018 miles which is 325 meters = close enough!)

Since I was running alone I decided to decrease the rest time in between intervals so compensate. Instead of resting for 10 minutes, I waited 5 minutes in between each repeat. I knew I wouldn't be able to run at 90% with the wind and cold but I did my best. I ran the intervals in 61.9, 63, 61.2, and 64 seconds. Not bad for running alone - I know that I can run 300 meters at about 50 seconds for repeats so I was satisfied (plus on half of the run today I had a slight uphill for the quarter of the run!)

My fingers were freezing, I couldn't really feel my toes much less run on my toes for the sprints! Oh well enough of my complaining - Now I am inside where it is warm! I really give you all credit out there for running intervals/repeats alone - I have been spoiled with a team to run with! Have a good Friday!

7 comments:

No Longer Using said...

i totally agree! i'm so glad elliot will do repeats with me otherwise i'd be hard-pressed to keep going. do you have mittens?? sometimes i wear gloves UNDER mittens! awesome job and have a great day 2!!!!! :)

Marlene said...

Intervals and snow/cold/wind really do not mix well - way to get it done!

X-Country2 said...

Love the new blog look.

I'm obsessed with my new mittens. It's revolutionized my winter running. :o)

Felice Devine said...

Ugh -- yeah, winter running is tough! Good for you for doing it, though. Shows you're tougher than winter ;-)

Anonymous said...

Way to work your way through the intervals alone. Glad you are nice and warm now.

Happy New Year.
I like the new look.

N.D. said...

Way to push through it. It's hard but enjoy the fresh air and sites!!

Nicole said...

I feel your being cold pains. My toes are numb right now and i was only outside for a few short minutes! AH i cant imigine running for a long time! Kudos to you! Cute blog look, btw :)