Saturday, January 3, 2009

Me vs. The Snow Plow

Today's Run:

3.05 miles/24:32/ that equals a slow pace

I headed out early to avoid the stupid traffic on the road, my mom needed to hit Walmart and she would pick me up half way there. I was just getting warmed up about 0.7 miles in when the snow plow came down my road on the opposite side. They were cleaning off the shoulder of the road and I thought to myself -

"Oh that is really great! This town does care about the runners and walkers and wants them to be safe" (or something along those lines)

I continue on, I am heading up the first hill, towards the end of my road, at about 0.85 miles in and I hear this really loud noise. I look ahead and there is the snow plow coming back at ME! The guy had turned around and was going to plow the shoulder on the other side of the road AKA the SIDE I WAS RUNNING ON!!

I made a mad dash for the other side of the road, but I hate to think what would have happened if I couldn't have gotten out of the way! Where did this guy expect me to go? THE SNOW BANK??? I know he saw me when he drove past me the first time! Plus I was wearing my new bright orange vest which you basically have to be BLIND not to see!

So that was the excitement on today's run! Overall I just felt loggy plus at about 2.5 miles I had this sharp pain in my right lower rib area. I had to stop because with every breath I took in it hurt more. I haven't had a pain like that before but it could have been from the ice cream cone I had last night (yes I know its winter - I am weird). I am not sure though, any ideas??

11 comments:

No Longer Using said...

pain like a cramp? you run so much and don't seem to have a problem with it so i'd chalk it up to just random stomach upset, maybe gas. hahaha,... elliot and i went to get ice cream after the BC game last week :) luckily there are places that stay open year round for people like us!!!! i'm SO TIRED of running on actual snow. i'll take all the snow in the world as long as the sidewalks are clear and that just isn't happening around here. it makes running much more challenging and not really "flow-effortless"... great getting out there, tho!!!

N.D. said...

I have had that before, I'm not sure what it was, but it went away. That's crazy about the plow!!! That time is pretty speedy!!

Laura said...

The snow plow story is really scary, but so is your pain. To me that sounds like a broken rib or a punctured lung or something (or maybe I've just been watching too much Grey's Anatomy). But I think you'd be in a lot more pain if that were the case. No matter what, be careful!

Marlene said...

Yikes!! Thank goodness you were able to get out of the way. Snow plows scare the crap out of me.

Anonymous said...

Was it a side stitch? I get those every now and then. If I squeeze my side I can usually get it to go away.

Sometimes you just need ice cream. My husband eats it year round.

Aron said...

hope your side/rib area feels better :( be careful!

awesome job for getting out there when it needed to be plowed :) geez i just cant even imagine what you runners are going through in the snow.

X-Country2 said...

Odd place to have a pain. I can't imagine it's a serious injury though. What would have caused it? Side stiches for me happen when I stop paying attention and breathe too shallow.

Marcy said...

I was going to ask the same thing as d10. Side stitch maybe?!?

Man that totally stinks that you almost got run over by the plow :-( One (and probably the ONLY :P) good thing about living around here is that they have people snow blow the sidewalks.

Meg said...

Some people can be really inconsiderate to runners! I'd say if your rib felt better after you stopped running, it was probably a side stitch. I think those come from inconsistencies in your breathing pattern, so maybe running from the plow threw you off.

Felice Devine said...

I eat ice cream all winter.

Sorry about that plow guy. He was probably just jealous ;-)

Nicole said...

i hope your side starts feeling better! be ware of snow trucks they are dangerous!